Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

unknown projectile

Wyffelfs

I found the following projectile (grenade) at Ypers, i think it is German the diameter is 7,4cm and weighs almost 5 kg and is a solid piece of metal, probably piercing grenade.

Does anyone have so information on this object (grenade).

regards,

Franky

post-24874-1276797138.jpg

post-24874-1276797147.jpg

The calibre is too small for a German field gun but is about right for a French or Belgian (or even American ) one. The Germans did produce some AP shot in 7.7cm but I think they had a small flat tip.They did use a 7.5 cm Infantry gun from the KuK but I don't think this fired solid shot.

Are you sure this is a WWI shell? It looks like it could be a 75mm PaK from WW2.

Regards

TonyE

Are you sure this is a WWI shell? It looks like it could be a 75mm PaK from WW2.

Regards

TonyE

yes i am sure was found in town centre of Ypers

regrds,

franky

In 1944 the Polish division (armoured) fought brief but fierce battles in the streets of Ypres against German defenders. Your AP round probably dates from then.

Having a guess at this but looks very like 75mm solid shot fired from a ww2 sherman tank

the israelis south lebanese army were still using them in lebanon in the early 80s

seen them being fired looks very like one to me

regards martin

Having a guess at this but looks very like 75mm solid shot fired from a ww2 sherman tank

the israelis south lebanese army were still using them in lebanon in the early 80s

regards martin

thanks this answers my questions now.

regards,

Franky

regards martin

Seems a bit light for a Sherman round. Their APCBC shot weighed 6.77 Kg, and this is said to be under 5. I don't think the CBC components could've accounted for the difference. But I do agree that it's much more likely WW2 than WW1 - there wasn't really enough of a reason to develop such rounds in the Great War.

Regards,

MikB

But I do agree that it's much more likely WW2 than WW1 - there wasn't really enough of a reason to develop such rounds in the Great War.

Just about a thousand British & French tanks in 1918 with much much more to come in 1919. AP rounds were developed in 7.7cm However the round in question would have come from either the 75mm gun of a Cromwell Tank of the Polish Armoured Division or a German 75 mm anti tank gun. I would suspect the former.

Not an expert on WW2 AT rounds, but I do have two said to be fired by Shermans, and they are boat tailed not parallel based.

However they were salvaged from the piles that used to lie about Uncles farm near Chittern Wilts, so probably British, but no provenance as to what fired them.

G

However as Shermans were not used at Ypres in 1944 whether or not this round resembles a round fired by a Sherman is a red herring. It does resemble the sort of round Cromwells used.

However as Shermans were not used at Ypres in 1944 whether or not this round resembles a round fired by a Sherman is a red herring.

That is assuming unlike the two in my collection it has not been moved at some other time. The photo is not entirely clear, but the driving band is nothing like as well cut as my two examples, if this the case it is just possible it was never fired and is a 'dropped' round. Which then opens out the possibilities to who ever was passing through the area, as well as the walked in souvenir possibility, if it is unfired.

G

Just about a thousand British & French tanks in 1918 with much much more to come in 1919. AP rounds were developed in 7.7cm However the round in question would have come from either the 75mm gun of a Cromwell Tank of the Polish Armoured Division or a German 75 mm anti tank gun. I would suspect the former.

But it didn't need a serious AP shot like this to defeat the armour they had in 1918-19.

Cromwell and Sherman fired the same 75mm rounds, so your evidence of Cromwells fighting in the area is the only diagnostic point. I'm still concerned about it weighing less than 5 Kg though, against the Brit/US 75mm APCBC's 6.77 Kg. German Pz.Gr.39 in 75mm was much the same weight.

Regards,

MikB

But it didn't need a serious AP shot like this to defeat the armour they had in 1918-19.

Cromwell and Sherman fired the same 75mm rounds, so your evidence of Cromwells fighting in the area is the only diagnostic point. I'm still concerned about it weighing less than 5 Kg though, against the Brit/US 75mm APCBC's 6.77 Kg. German Pz.Gr.39 in 75mm was much the same weight.

Regards,

MikB

No they could fire the same round but there was a specific British AP round. which I believe was lighter.

No they could fire the same round but there was a specific British AP round. which I believe was lighter.

I weight it again on a digital scale and it give me a weight of 6.30 kilo's

some more specification of the shell/:

body and driving band are of 1 piece of metal, total length is 22,5 cm whit a body diameter of approximately 7,4cm, and the diameter of the driving band is 7,7cm

regards franky