Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

vickers clinometer

hudsonswhistle

The Mark I Vickers clinometer introduced in 1917 was an adaptation of the Mark III artillery clinometer with a redesigned base plate suitable for the Vickers gun.

To us it the top cover of the gun was opened and the clinometer sat on the side plates of the receiver. This was not a very satisfactory method as the clinometer base worked loose over time and affected accuracy.

The Mark II clinometer introduced in 1938 had an integral base which overcame this problem, but the introduction of the dial sight in 1939 was the most effective sight of all.

Regards

TonyE

Thanks Tony , does it sit where the belt comes in ,only i have tried this on mine ,only the plate on the clinometer has a couple of cut outs that does not seem to match up with anything on my vickers

Regards Alan

No, it does not sit where the feed block is, but further back towards the rear of the gun.

Open the rear top cover and the clinometer should sit onthe side plate of the receiver.

Regards

TonyE

Alan - this seems a suitable place to remember this chap, with a most appropriate name, who Tony and I visited at Grevillers British Cemetery on Saturday. He would no doubt have been able to show you how to mount the clinometer !

post-11021-1277115501.jpg

• 9 years later...

A photo from a gun and clinometer then in my collection.  A very early production gun.May 1915.  The leather carrying case for the inclinometer is marked 'Harrods' - bit of class in a bloody conflict!  I don't think these inclinometers were in place when the gun was actually firing.   The tripod was set up with the inclinometer - legs sandbagged , then removed is my understanding..  SW

DSCN0004.JPG