Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Updated Irish Genealogy

kildaremark

Just to let everyone know that the website www.irishgenealogy.ie has been updated today with more free records and links to the original parish records.

It includes quite a lot of military burials from Dublin in Arbour Hill and plenty of soldiers from the Curragh getting married in Dublin. The records normally include the regiment of the soldier. Most of the current update are non-Roman Catholic.

Typing in "foot" under location will bring up numerous records of 19th century soldiers.

Mark

summary list of the details they have now :

CARLOW (COI)

CORK & ROSS (RC)

DUBLIN (COI)

DUBLIN (PRESBY.)

DUBLIN (RC)

KERRY (COI)

KERRY (RC)

They take you through to scans of the original Parish registers. The site is funded by the Irish Government, and hopefully they will eventually get back the mess that has occurred with IFHF site and what they have done with Irish records.

The site is funded by the Irish Government, and hopefully they will eventually get back the mess that has occurred with IFHF site and what they have done with Irish records.

Corisande, I was about to dip my toe into IFHF last night but was put off a little by the costs. Interested in your remarks above-sounds like you were not entirely impressed? Interested in your thoughts.

Thanks,

Cathal.

I really have two major problems with that site. Firstly the cost, secondly the quality

Unlike, say ScotlandsPeople or irishgenealogy.ie you do not get to buy an actual scan, you get an card index photo, where an unemployed youth has transcribed the record to a card. It is open to mis-transcription, and the card entry tends to miss things like witnesses

You can actually find out a lot without paying and narrow it down to whether you person was born in a particular parish or not in a particular year.

The other problem is completeness - if you look at their sources (its in the small print for each county) they do not necessarily represent the full extend of extant parish registers.

In short the thing is a mess. You can get the info in person for RC records on microfiche at NLI or Protestant ones at NAI.

Happily the Irish Government knows the problem, but it will take them years to get the franchises back from each county IFHF site.

Having said all that you can strike lucky on IFHF site, but you will have to buy many more cards than you need as you never get the full story from any one card.

As I see you live in Limerick, if I were you I would go round to Local History section of Limerick County Library and ask them what fiches they have.

Also worth noting that all the Irish General Registry Office indexes are available from 1864-1958 on http://search.labs.familysearch.org/record...art.html#p=home

Some of the earlier Births, Deaths and marriages from the 1860s and 1870s are also transcribed on separate indexex on the same site if you browse records by location and seek out Ireland.

Certainly crazy that the state funded the IFHS information but you have to pay for it for certain parishes when other counties are now free because they were dealt with separately. I have spend a good bit of money on IFHS often with an extremely limited return although, if I had to seek out the records myself, no doubt it would have cost me a lot more money.

Nevertheless, by working between the IFHS site and the Civil Registration indexes on the family search site you can narrow information down quite well. One difficulty with family search is that the 'Mc' names have to be double checked as many were recorded as M' rather than Mc.

However, with 1901, 1911 and www.irishgenealogy all for free, looks like searching for Irish ancestors has got a lot easier and cheaper.

Mark