Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for NZEF info ?

(nzef)

Hi All,

I've managed to build up a considerable library of information on the 1st NZEF - This includes all the unit histories (a lot are available online now, but not all), Information on honours & awards, casualty info, cemetery info e.t.c

If you have any questions or requests or just need info on other research avenues (and don't mind waiting a day or two) then let me know!

Cheers

Hi All,

I've managed to build up a considerable library of information on the 1st NZEF - This includes all the unit histories (a lot are available online now, but not all), Information on honours & awards, casualty info, cemetery info e.t.c

If you have any questions or requests or just need info on other research avenues (and don't mind waiting a day or two) then let me know!

Cheers

Cheers to whomever you are I cannot find your name

I wonder if you have any information about the 5th Reinfrocements of the NZ Field Engineers who let NZ 13/6/1915 on the Aparima and went to Aussie, Ceylon andn Madras before Egypt. I hae a copy of the diary of Sergeant John Wilson, Unit No 4/929 who was with the unit but he writes about a Jim Hogan whom I cannot trace. Jim was a very "rough diamond" from what I can determine and was court martialled in France for "striking an office" and received very harsh punishment. I am wondering if you know whether the Aparima had a 'ship's magazine as they are usually great for prioviding the ships roll. Any advice will be warmnly received.

Best wishes Kiwi Bob .cameron.marg.bob@xtra.co.nz

Cheers to whomever you are I cannot find your name

I wonder if you have any information about the 5th Reinfrocements of the NZ Field Engineers who let NZ 13/6/1915 on the Aparima and went to Aussie, Ceylon andn Madras before Egypt. I hae a copy of the diary of Sergeant John Wilson, Unit No 4/929 who was with the unit but he writes about a Jim Hogan whom I cannot trace. Jim was a very "rough diamond" from what I can determine and was court martialled in France for "striking an office" and received very harsh punishment. I am wondering if you know whether the Aparima had a 'ship's magazine as they are usually great for prioviding the ships roll. Any advice will be warmnly received.

Best wishes Kiwi Bob .cameron.marg.bob@xtra.co.nz

Hi there,

I'm off to the Somme tomorrow morning for the weekend but I'll take some reading material and see what I can find for you. It should be reasonably straight forward to trace Jim Hogan if he was court martialled.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Hi nzef

I am doing some research on Captain W T Beck DSO 15/12 and have his service records and some other information from abook on when he first landed at Gallipoli. Would you have anything on what else he did there to get his DSO and also a MID from Sir Ian Hamilton and why he was invalided out in 1916.

Any help appreciated

regards

Robert

Hi there,

I'm off to the Somme tomorrow morning for the weekend but I'll take some reading material and see what I can find for you. It should be reasonably straight forward to trace Jim Hogan if he was court martialled.

Cheers

Thanks for your offer, I can now advise (probably too late for you) that Jim Hogan was I am sure, Baxter Hogan not Jim. I guess he may not have liked having Baxter as a first name. His Unit Number was 4/929 and I have now read his Army file in which dates coincide nicely with the dates he received his two punishments including the court martial.

Thanks again

Kiwi Bob

ps I now know that the ship's magazine for the Troopship HMNZTS No 26 "Aparima" was called 'The Oily Rag'. Has any one out there seen a copy?

Hi nzef

I am doing some research on Captain W T Beck DSO 15/12 and have his service records and some other information from abook on when he first landed at Gallipoli. Would you have anything on what else he did there to get his DSO and also a MID from Sir Ian Hamilton and why he was invalided out in 1916.

Any help appreciated

regards

Robert

Hello rkirb4

I assume you have read his Army file at Arcvhives NZ but have you seen the Auckland War Museum's listing for 15/12, William Thomas BECK. http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/c...4&Ordinal=6 It has a link to another source of information Mentioned in NZETC http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/name-130094.html also New Zealand and The Distinguished Service Order by J. Bryant Haigh and A. J. Polaschek. Christchurch, 1993 . DSO: London Gazette, 8 November 1915. Citation: "For distinguished service in the field during the operations in the Dardanelles."

Now perhaps you can answer this question, Was he in the RNZ Artillery at some time prior to Gallipoli? as I have a mention of a Beck by George Napier Johnston the CRA of the NZ and Australian Artillery throughout the war. His diary states on Friday October 15, 1915 "Today, I received a cake from Beck, formerly a gunner in the RNZA, now commissioned in the Ordnance Depot. He sent it from Alexandria. It was very decent of him, as I don’t know him very well."

Good luck with your research

Hi Kiwi Bob

Thanks for your help and links.

From what I have, I knew he was in Artillery pre-war but no other details, that gives me a bit more to add.

regards

Robert

Hi Kiwi Bob

Thanks for your help and links.

From what I have, I knew he was in Artillery pre-war but no other details, that gives me a bit more to add.

regards

Robert

In Honours and Awards to the NZ Expeditionary Force 1914-1918 by Wayne McDonald, it says

William Thomas Beck 15/12,

DSO; Honorary Captain, NZ Army Ordnance Corps.

L.G. 8 November 1915 p 11027

For distinguished service in the field during the operations at the Dardanelles

M.I.D. ; Captain, NZ Ordnance Department.

L.G. 5 November 1915, p 11003

Mentioned in General I Hamilton's despatch of the 26 August 1915 (Commander in chief, Mediterranean Expeditionary Force).

These same details, with nothing else, are given in Bloody Gallipoli by Chris Pugsley.

Christine

Hi Christine

Thanks for your help

regards

Robert