Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Samuel B Bird, MC & Bar, DSO (72nd Canadian Bn)

MickLeeds

Thought I'd post this interesting story from my local paper.

(I've also posted it in the 'chit-chat' thread, I'm not sure where it belongs ?)

Exclusive: Mystery Leeds WW1 find.

A collection of memorabilia discovered dumped in Leeds underlines one Yorkshire family's transatlantic links to the Great War. Some of the Birds family – from Canada but thought originally to be from Leeds – died on the Western Front. Others were wounded and one survived. They won numerous honours and four of the women nursed the war wounded. Now the Yorkshire Evening Post and police are eager to reunite their heirs with the collection of mementos dumped in a cardboard box in Moortown – believed by a burglar.

The collection reveals the lives of Major Samuel B Birds, Military Cross and Bar and Distinguished Service Order; Private John Albert Birds, Military Medal; their soldier and pilot brothers George W Birds and Flight Lt Bibby – all sons of Mrs John Birds of 562 Burlington Street East, Hamilton, Canada.

It also reveals the tragic death of a second generation, the Major's son Frederick Arthur Birds, also killed in the War to End Wars.

Anyone with information should contact the helpdesk at Stainbeck police station via 0845 60 60 606 or Bruce Smith at the YEP on 0113 2388369.

Link to story + pics.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news...find.6364421.jp

There's a tantalising amount of info about this guy on the 'net; looks like he was quite a big name architecht in Canada.

Yes, I'm having a very quiet day at work...........

:D .Not quiet enough. MC