Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.F.A. info required...

swadmark

Although just before the great war, i am trying to find out anything about the early military career of my grandfather Henry Farnell. Henry joined the Royal Marines in 1907 and served with the R.G.A. during WWI But i have just discovered he served as a driver with No. 1 sub (?), 147 battery R.F.A. in 1906 or at least trained with them as he appears to have left the regiment by 1907 when he joins the Marines. His number with the R.F.A. is 38737 and i would like any help on what no.1 sub means, i think it sais sub, but i may be mistaken and i would also be interested to heasr how to access any records that may exist for 38737 Farnell. His Royal Marines papers still exist but his R.G.A. papers were destroyed during WWII.

A sub is essentially a single gun detachment, the full name being a sub-section.

In the RFA, Regular Army batteries consisted of 3 sections of two guns, the section consisting of two sub sections ie 2 gun detachments. A single sub would consist of an 18 pounder field gun with 6 gun numbers, with a further 4 men in the wagon lines, where the horses and ammunition limbers were held. In addition the sub would have 4 limber drivers and 3 gun drivers. In total a sergeant would be responsible for 15 men and 17 horses.

I believe 147 Battery were a Reserve Battery which provided training for new Gunners.

A sub is essentially a single gun detachment, the full name being a sub-section.

In the RFA, Regular Army batteries consisted of 3 sections of two guns, the section consisting of two sub sections ie 2 gun detachments. A single sub would consist of an 18 pounder field gun with 6 gun numbers, with a further 4 men in the wagon lines, where the horses and ammunition limbers were held. In addition the sub would have 4 limber drivers and 3 gun drivers. In total a sergeant would be responsible for 15 men and 17 horses.

I believe 147 Battery were a Reserve Battery which provided training for new Gunners.

Thanks that has explained a great deal.

I would also note that 147th battery in this period was in 49th Howitzer Brigade ... Bulford in 1903.... Woolwich in 1909 .... ... noy specifically a Reserve/Training Battery until he 1913 (?) ..reorganisation when specifically named Reserve Brigades were formed at the depots.. I think home batteries at that time probably were on 4 gun peace time establishments in 2 sections ..4 sub sections I suppose..

david

Although just before the great war, i am trying to find out anything about the early military career of my grandfather Henry Farnell. Henry joined the Royal Marines in 1907 and served with the R.G.A. during WWI But i have just discovered he served as a driver with No. 1 sub (?), 147 battery R.F.A. in 1906 or at least trained with them as he appears to have left the regiment by 1907 when he joins the Marines. His number with the R.F.A. is 38737 and i would like any help on what no.1 sub means, i think it sais sub, but i may be mistaken and i would also be interested to heasr how to access any records that may exist for 38737 Farnell. His Royal Marines papers still exist but his R.G.A. papers were destroyed during WWII.

Helo all

A little amplification of what David's post says:

In 1906 49 (Howitzer) Brigade RFA, consisting of 146, 147 and 148 Batteries, was stationed at Aldershot. It was designated as corps artillery should an Expeditionary Force be required, and did not have a specific Reserve/training role. I think these batteries had three sections (six guns) but, being howitzers, they may have had only two sections.

When the Reserve Brigades were formed in Aug 1913 and numbered in a separate sequence, the former 45 to 50 Brigades were given the numbers in the main sequence thereby vacated, and in this way 49 Brigade became 43 (Howitzer) Brigade. Not only that, but the batteries swapped numbers as well, and 147 Battery of 1906 became 57 Battery, so that the six Reserve Brigades, now with only two batteries each, had them numbered 136 to 147. Three existing batteries were disbanded, having received the numbers 148, 149 and 150 under similar swaps, and three batteries (1, 3 and 5) were used to create a new 45 Brigade.

As Spike Milligan (late RA) once said: "It's all rather confusing, really!"

Ron

Almost certainly the five-inch howitzer, of Boer War vintage.

The 4.5-inch was not introduced until 1909 and, whilst there were a few prototypes under trial from 1906 onwards, I doubt that 49 Bde would have been involved. They were earmarked for a BEF should one be needed, and this suggests that testing new weapons would have been an unnecessary diversion from their operational role.

Even by 1914 there were barely enough 4.5-inch equipments available to meet the BEF's needs.

Ron