Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain F. C. Selous

David B

A semi local second hand booksellers catalogue shows that it has two books in stock about the above Captain.

They are 'Life of Frederick Courtenay Selous DSO by J.G. Millais and Selous F.C. African Nature Notes and Reminiscences, Salisbury, Rhodesia.

Both are priced at 50 Aust dollars.

If any one is interested in obtaining these, please send me a PM and I will reply with the contact details.

Cheers David

Selous Street in Camden, where the Anti-Apartheid Movement once had its headquarters, was renamed Mandela Street, in part because the name was taken by left-wing councillors to refer to Frederick Courteney Selous - whose friend and biographer John Guille Millais was a son of the Pre-Raphaelite painter John Everett Millais. In reality, however, the street was named after FCS's uncle, Henry Courteney Selous, an artist best known for his enormous painting of Queen Victoria opening the Great Exhibition. Wheels within wheels ...

Capt F C Selous's son was Capt Frederick Hatherley Bruce Selous MC of No 60 Sqn RFC, formerly Queen's Regiment, who was killed in action while flying SE5a C5334 on 4 January 1918, the anniversary of his father's death.

Gareth

Can I suggest an added reason as to why Selous Street in Camden was mistakenly renamed and that's because of the name's association with Rhodesia's Selous Scouts Regiment. One of the most effective and indeed some would say infamous units during the bush war in Rhodesia 1973 to 1980 they were named in honour of F.C. Selous. See 'Selous Scouts Top Secret War as told to Peter Stiff by by Lt Col Ron Reid, Galago Press, 1982 for a colouful if often jaw dropping account of their activities.

Incidentally Selous is supposed to be the inspiration for Rider Haggard's Alan Quatermain of 'King Solomon's Mines' fame. Kaiser Wilhelm even extolled him to Germany's youth as an example of toughness they should follow. He may have changed his view when Selous took up arms against his forces in German East Africa!

james w

• 4 weeks later...

I have just found this photograph, which I took during the late 1990's, showing Frederick Courtney Selous's "Memorial" grave stone in Dar es Salaam. I believe the stone was in the Dar es Salaam (Upanga) Cemetery, but on checking the CWGC website to confirm this, it just lists Selous' s actual grave at Beho Beho. Does this stone still stand?

Unfortunately, due to very bad weather I was unable to get down to the Selous National Park, but instead I spent a very interesting week staying with friends in Tanga, wandering about the battlefield. They explained my strange behaviour of walking about with photocopied maps and camera, by telling their neighbours (and a Police Officer who was interested in my Camera) that I was on a religous pilgimage!

Frederick Selous, and his son Captain Frederick Hatherley Bruce Selous MC who was KIA during 1918, are both commemorated on the War Memorial located by the St Michaels and All Angels Church at Pirbright, Surrey. This War Memorial is just a few yards by a huge monolith marking the grave of another famous explorer, Henry Morton Stanley. The next time I am passing through the village, which is not too far away, I will photograph the War Memorial and post it on the site.

Sepoy

post-55476-047148100 1279130303.jpg