Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

medal card

Fleur Houston

I am doing research on John Oman who has a medal card entitling him to a war medal through his work with the YMCA in France from 1916. Would this medal card have been issued automatically or would he have applied for it? Would the fact that a medal card was issued necessarily mean that he received a medal? All advice welcome!

As he would seem to have the "usual" medal card I would assume that his medal would have been sent to him automatically. As far as I am aware it was only officers who had to apply for their medals. I am also assuming that he has no connection with either of the other two John Omans who have medal cards, one for service in the RAMC and the other in the ASC.

Dave Swarbrick

Houston

If he applied for his medal I would think that the MIC would show that. I agree with Dave that he was treated the same as Army ORs and received an automatic issue.

Sotonmate

As he would seem to have the "usual" medal card I would assume that his medal would have been sent to him automatically. As far as I am aware it was only officers who had to apply for their medals. I am also assuming that he has no connection with either of the other two John Omans who have medal cards, one for service in the RAMC and the other in the ASC.

Dave Swarbrick

I looked up all the Powrie medal cards, and had a professional Richard Moles lookup the records. I'm still looking for one hero who died in 1921, after he served during WWI,he was sent to Poland (upper Silecia). Henry Lawson Powrie was a bomadier,who had experienced gas, partial deafness fromblasts,but he was labelled a coward in the letter home,because he went insane just before the holiday, and he and two others committed sucide.

I can't get CGC to list him because his death was after their date of end of war. they nor anyone else

could tell me where he was buried. All he wanted was to get back to Perth, Scotland. Any ideas where to look for my hero's grave?

He won two medals for bravery...was wounded twice and deserves to have wreaths and our gratitude. THey didn't understand PTSD back then.

I have more than one medal card for men, and a couple who were in two different units. The personel numbers link.

British Army WWI Pension Records 1914-1920

about John Oman

Name:John OmanResidence:2 Drumdryan St, EdinburghDocument Year:1914Regimental Number:1811Number of Images:1343355, 4th changedto 15th battalion black watch

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920

about John Oman

Name: John Oman

Regiment or Corps: Royal Army Medical Corps

Regimental Number: 86542

about John Oman

Regiment or Corps: Army Service Corps

Regimental Number: M/272223

about John Oman

a minister

Dave Swarbrick

Thank you very much, Dave - this is helpful. As far as I can make out, there is no connection with the other two medal card holders of that name.

Houston

If he applied for his medal I would think that the MIC would show that. I agree with Dave that he was treated the same as Army ORs and received an automatic issue.

Sotonmate

Many thanks for this confirmation, Sotonmate!

I looked up all the Powrie medal cards, and had a professional Richard Moles lookup the records. I'm still looking for one hero who died in 1921, after he served during WWI,he was sent to Poland (upper Silecia). Henry Lawson Powrie was a bomadier,who had experienced gas, partial deafness fromblasts,but he was labelled a coward in the letter home,because he went insane just before the holiday, and he and two others committed sucide.

I can't get CGC to list him because his death was after their date of end of war. they nor anyone else

could tell me where he was buried. All he wanted was to get back to Perth, Scotland. Any ideas where to look for my hero's grave?

He won two medals for bravery...was wounded twice and deserves to have wreaths and our gratitude. THey didn't understand PTSD back then.

I have more than one medal card for men, and a couple who were in two different units. The personel numbers link.

British Army WWI Pension Records 1914-1920

about John Oman

Name:John OmanResidence:2 Drumdryan St, EdinburghDocument Year:1914Regimental Number:1811Number of Images:1343355, 4th changedto 15th battalion black watch

Thank you for this and good luck with your won research! The Oman I am looking at was a minister rather than a professional soldier, so while all things are possible, I think this may be unlikely.

about John Oman

Regiment or Corps: Royal Army Medical Corps

Regimental Number: 86542

about John Oman

Regiment or Corps: Army Service Corps

Regimental Number: M/272223

about John Oman

a minister

Many thanks, Mary! The man I am looking at is definitely number three, the minister!