Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trying to trace grandfathers war service

Guest CherylA

Guest CherylA

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but I'm struggling with both my grandfathers war records and those of my husband.

My paternal grandfather was born in Leswalt in Wigtownshire in 1878, but moved to Lancashire before 1900. His name was Charles Kyle. I'd assumed he was in the Scottish Horse regiment because that was the regiment my father was in for WW2, but looking at a photo of him he was in the Army Service Corps. When I look at Ancestry there are quite a few Charles Kyle's and I don't know how to find the correct one. I did find a brief record of him joining the army in 1900 and deserting shortly afterwards, but I remember a box with his WW1 medals (sadly long since sold).

The record my husband would most like to trace is his grandfather Bertie Adams born 1887 in Headington in Oxfordshire. He'd moved to Birmingham by 1901 and we think he served in the Royal Warwickshire regiment in France and Belgium. I can't find any military record for him on Ancestry.

Can anyone help?

Hi Cheryl,

Im not able to help you much, but for Ancestry I tend to go through the possibles in a result from a search and see if the next of kin & address match the person I am looking for.

There is only one record on the Chelsea Pensioners series on Find My Past but I do not think he is your man. If he did serve again I am sure his record would have been kept with the WW1 records.

Best of luck.

Andy

Guest CherylA

Thanks for looking anyhow. It's frustrating not finding anything when I know they were both WW1 soldiers, but I suppose lots of records are lost (or I'm looking in the wrong place!)