Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform Identification please

aleyoop

Hi everyone

Would like to know which uniform he is wearing and what year the photo was taken.

His name is John Robertson Fisher. We were told his middle name might be Jamieson. John b. 1865 or 1867 Glasgow, Scotland. Also he had a son Jack Fisher who came home shellshocked after WW1 and lived out his days in Rothesay.

Any information on John and his uniform would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Vin

post-55948-1276616303.jpg

To start the ball rolling:

He's a Canadian soldier. He wears their distinctive 7 button tunic.

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/cef/tunics/

He also appears to be carrying the Ross rifle, another Canadian distinction.

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/cef/equipment/cefe24.htm

If this is the right John Robertson Fisher, I have to find what year he came to Canada. The IGI has his birth as Oct. 10, 1865 and so does the Family Search Record Search. The 1881 census has birth year 1867. Could they all be wrong? The Attestation paper birth Oct. 10, 1873 Glasgow and wife Margaret Lamont. I know his brother and two sisters came to Canada in 1886 and 1895.

Back to searching.

Vin

If this is the right John Robertson Fisher, I have to find what year he came to Canada. The IGI has his birth as Oct. 10, 1865 and so does the Family Search Record Search. The 1881 census has birth year 1867. Could they all be wrong? The Attestation paper birth Oct. 10, 1873 Glasgow and wife Margaret Lamont. I know his brother and two sisters came to Canada in 1886 and 1895.

Back to searching.

Vin

It would not surprise me if the IGI showed his correct date of birth and that he lied about his age to join the CEF. I do not know the age range to join the Canadian Expeditionary Force, but I bet at the age of 51 he was too old!

Just got this:

In 1901 John R. Fisher was living at 363 Victoria Rd Glasgow with wife Margaret and son John B. Son born 1895 Glasgow.

1891 living at 18 Kenmure st. Glasgow with mother and two sisters.

Vin