Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt James Fitzsimmons 2/7th TF Liverpool Kings Regiment 265137

medwar58

Hello I'm trying to find any additional information on my Grandads brother Sgt. James Fitzsimmons 265137.

Medals awarded: DCM, British War Medal, Victory Medal> Looks like his medals were sold at some point in the past.

2/7th Battalion

October – Formed at Park Street, Bootle

November to Blackpool

February to Canterbury to 171st Brigade, 57th (2nd West Lancashire) Division

July to Tweseldown, Aldershot

September to Woking

February – Landed in France - 171st Brigade, 57th (2nd West Lancashire) Division

November

Armistice - 11th November at Faubourg de Fives, Lille

Would be really greatfull for any help whatsoever as I seem to have come to a complete halt.

Cheers

Mike

Mike

Here's the citation for his DCM, London Gazette #31052, 5th December 1918. Link is http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/310...pplements/14440

265137 Sjt. J. Fitzsimmons, 2/7th Bn., L'pool R. (T.F.) (Bootle).

For conspicuous gallantry and determination in action. He made repeated attacks with his men to prevent the enemy bringing their machine guns into action. On one occasion he rushed a party of the enemy alone, capturing some and putting the others to flight. Though wounded in the eye, he did not leave his post until the line was thoroughly consolidated. His coolness and dash set a splendid example.

Regards

Steve

Try looking in The Bootle Times available at Crosby Library, its available behind the counter and there is a index of what articles with pictures are available. The only drawback is whoever compiled the index did not record the date of the articles, so its a case of going through the microfilms to get the date. Something for me to do while Liverpool Record Office is closed .