Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cecil Lyle King

chrisharley9

Going through the Times I came across this chap in the 11/06/1918. I have managed to find a DC ref but nothing more concrete as to military service. Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

post-4020-1276544358.png

Just had a look at the Croydon and the Great War book. Cecil is not listed.

Neil

Neil

thanks very much

Chris

It may just be co-incidence Chris and hopefully all the below refer to the same man ......

Births Dec Qu. 1895

Cecil Lyle King

Upton 6c 313

Upton RD is in Worcestershire.

The most likely MIC I can see is Cecil L King, Pte 52204, Worcestershire Regiment.

Awarded BW & V Medals. No further info.

1911 Index: living at Barton upon Irwell, Lancs in the same household as his brother Clarence.

According to 1901, his father, James, was a Sergeant Major in the Worcs Regiment.

RG 13/2787; Folio 9; Page 10

Phil

The most likely MIC I can see is Cecil L King, Pte 52204, Worcestershire Regiment.

Awarded BW & V Medals. No further info.

The MIC for Cecil L KING, 52204 Worcs, is NOT your man, as he has a "pension" record on Ancestry showing that he was Cecil Leslie King, a baker from Cheltenham, husband of Elizabeth (nee Greenhalf, married in Winchcombe 1915), age 25 & 8mo on attesting on 24/6/16. Not called up until March 1918. Discharged on demobilization in March 1920.

(He previously served 39 days in Lanc Fus in 1915 (18/17054), discharged not likely etc. Pension rec for this period shows his father as Charles Edward King of Cheltenham.)

Adrian

Thanks very much everyone for your help.

This is becoming one of the problems with checking the Times; within the died of wounds columns from 1917 onwards a fair number of people are appearing who connection to the military is somewhat doubtful

Chris

• 9 years later...

Super information - his Mercantile Marine Medal joined my collection a few moments ago - interesting he is not on CWGC ? death attributed to war service ?  Thanks PaulC78

His death was not attributable to war service.

Chris