Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Savoy Grill

Landsturm

In "Blackadder goes Forth" comedy-series there was a humorous mention of dugout being called "Savoy Grill". Few weeks ago I saw a photograph in new book about the Western Front, and there actually WAS a dugout with nameplate saying "Savoy Grill" (no doubt, named by its residents). Now I wish to find out where was this place? Somehow Somme remained in my mind, but I`ve also had a thought of other fronts. Any information. I don`t own the book... :angry:

My understanding is that the Savoy Grill was a restaurant - grill - at the Savoy hotel in London. The hotel of course still exists it was then and is now very "posh", just the place for bright young things and officers at home on leave,

• 3 weeks later...

If memory serves correctly the "Savoy Grill" was mentioned by Captain E Blackadder when answering the field telphone during an episode concerning communications problems. He also answered as "Somme Public Baths" and having taken orders for cab "calling at 6 Arnos Grove, ring top bell".

Whilst the Savoy Grill itself is still in existence, the prefered location for breakfast in case for generations of British Army Officers is actually at Simpson's just a few hundred yards further up the Strand!

There WAS a Savoy Trench on the Somme at Longueval.

Map ref. given as 633/2558+. Map 2408E. IGN 1:25000

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you very much. This has been a puzzle in Blackadder-Forum and I too thought it was just funny name for dugout until I saw a photograph of it in the page 118 of book "The Imperial War Museum Book of the Western Front" by Malcolm Brown. Again, thank you very much :D

Given the number of London street names attached to various trenches, it must have been very tempting to give your dug out , H.Q etc a well known name such as a restaurant ,located in approximate topographically accurate positions - it might even help you to find the place - of course assuming you were a Londoner in the case of the Savoy Grill !

Outstanding - did they serve a good breakfast!!!

David :D

Schhh. Don't say I told you this but put your underpants on your head and stick a couple of pencils up your nostrils and you'll be home to go to the real Savoy Grill in next to no time. :lol:

Aye

Malcolm

"Savoy Grill" picture reference from IWM: Scots Guards on trenches at Festubert june 1915. Headquarters "G" Coy Scots Guards in second line trenches. Ref: Q 17329. Captain Warner and Lt Seymour 2nd Batt. Scots Guards.