Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fred Tufts Leicestershire Regiment

Adam Llewellyn

Good day all,

Article from yesterdays Leicester Mercury,

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/news...il/article.html

I thought it would be interesting to see what information I could source on Fred, but I've come up against a brick wall and can't even find his MIC. I'm assuming that Fred would have been a Kitchener man and would have served with one of the service battalions, the picture that was in last nights paper did show Fred with an Hindoostan cap badge, so we can rule out the Territorial battalions, unless he could have been transfered at some time. I've tried different combinations in both the Ancestry and NA search engines, but nothing seems to be getting close, could a fresh pair of eyes please a look at this for me, and fingers crossed, see something that i'm missing.

Best regards. Llew.

Not an MIC answer but I suspect he might be:

Frederick James A Tuffs* on the Birth and Death records, born 5 June 1895, and death registered November 1986 in the Market Harborough Reg. district, died age 91. 1901 Census notes that he was born at Little Bowden. Possibly the Frederick J Tuffs married to Edith F Manton in the 1st Quarter of 1921.

* No listing under Tufts with a "t".

Steve.

Nice spot, Headgardener.

He seems to have been one of a group of men transferred to the MGC from the 1/5th Leicesters in early 1916.

The local Harborough newspaper printed a weekly update of men serving in the early weeks of the war, so it may be possible to ID him definitively from that.

I'm sure you know already, but the pre-war "E" Company of the 5th Leicesters was at Market Harborough.

The 1/5th Leicesters being part of the 138th (Lincoln & Leicester) Brigade would fit with the Lincolns band playing as they marched. I would assume he was one of the original 28 February 1915 embarkations.

Steve.

The only doubt could be is that the number is a territorial one, but saying that, if he was a 1/5th (County Battalion) territorial man, it's looking good for 1542 having enlisted in Market Harborough, some time late March or April 1913.

03.04.1912. 03.03.1915. 1527 1/4TH SERGEANT JOHN GEORGE GIBBONS ST. MARGARETS LEICESTER LEICESTER KIA 13.10.1915. F&F LOOS MEMORIAL

18.03.1913. 28.02.1915. 1528 1/5TH PRIVATE PERCY PENNINGTON BRADFORD MELTON MOWBRAY KIA 23.07.1915. F&F SANCTUARY WOOD CEMETERY

No papers 27.02.1915. 1540 1/5TH PRIVATE BERNARD CARROLL FLECKNEY MARKET HARBOROUGH DOW 10.08.1915. F&F LIJSSENTHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY

Regards. Llew.

Steve,

I haven't got the paper to hand, but I'll double check the photo with the article and just confirm the cap badge. 1542 does seem to be the man and I suppose that the photo may not actually be of Fred. My other option would be to get in touch with the museum :huh:.

Regards. Llew.