Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Searching TNA for WDs is proving nigh on impossible

Bardess

I have entered WO/95 and there are only 3 results?!?!

What am I doing wrong? Are they hiding someplace else?

Hi Diane - I get 455 hits on the NA websitewhen I ask for "War Diary" and the dates 1914 to 1919. If you know which division any regiment was in you get more focussed results - maybe a few in a division and these may or may not include any in which you have a particular interest.

John

TNA web site simply does not work at weekends!! I have emailed them twice to tell them so, they have ignored me.

John

Oh! You are searching Documents Online. Well you do not need a WO95 number at all.

Go to Documents Online. Click on "Army". Click on "Selected First World War and Army of Occupation War Diaries (WO 95)". Then enter the name of the unit in the way I mentioned above.

I don't remember having this problem before but, thanks Chris, I now have a selection of 171 to choose from :thumbsup:

It may be academic now, but in future if searching using the WO95 numbers, it would help your cause if you do not leave a space between WO & 95.

Half the battle with using the Acrhives is to enter the search terms in an acceptable form for the search engine to understand.

Cheers,

Nigel

On the N/A site, Bn Diaries, I have, 178 entries, 18 pages. These are the last 6 entries.

It appears to be different in Australia, Diane?

23m5t38.jpg

Mike

Indeedy, Mike [great double-act]. Last page only one item - 6 DIVISION, 18 INFANTRY BRIGADE

post-39423-1276501336.jpg

Is there any reason, why I would appear to have 7 more Diaries than Diane?

Quite happy to be proved silly, stupid blah blah blah again :D

Mike