Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

group photo C Sqn 1/2nd Lovat Scouts Beccles 1917

gladys cutajar

Can anyone help identify this unit. They are Lovet Scouts. Did they train in Beccles? Also were they a part of Ayrshire Yeomanry? My grandfather James Graham served in 2/1 Ayrshire Yeomanry. I have a shoebox full of photos- no names on back. Lots more photos to follow. Would appreciate any help as I would love to put names to faces. I am new to GWF. Looks like a great site.

Kind regards

Gladys

post-55905-1276421911.jpg

Welcome to the forum Gladys.

Lovat Scouts were another Scottish Yeomanry unit raised by Lord Lovat in 1900 for the Boer War.

They did have a link to Beccles in the Great War. According to Michael Melville's "The Story of the Lovat Scouts", late in 1914 Lord Lovat raised two second line regiments of Lovat Scouts (2nd/1st and 2nd/2nd). They were composed of older soldiers past active service and from recruits. These recruits eventually provided replacements for the units serving overseas. They were based at Beccles and Lowestoft.

Have you checked your Grandad's records and Medal Index Card to see if he served with the Lovats Scouts at some stage during the war?

I would be interested in seeing photos of the Lovat Scouts.

Have a look through these as well-

http://www.1914-1918.net/lovats1.htm

http://www.1914-1918.net/ayrshire.htm

Scott

Welcome to the forum Gladys.

Lovat Scouts were another Scottish Yeomanry unit raised by Lord Lovat in 1900 for the Boer War.

They did have a link to Beccles in the Great War. According to Michael Melville's "The Story of the Lovat Scouts", late in 1914 Lord Lovat raised two second line regiments of Lovat Scouts (2nd/1st and 2nd/2nd). They were composed of older soldiers past active service and from recruits. These recruits eventually provided replacements for the units serving overseas. They were based at Beccles and Lowestoft.

Have you checked your Grandad's records and Medal Index Card to see if he served with the Lovats Scouts at some stage during the war?

I would be interested in seeing photos of the Lovat Scouts.

Have a look through these as well-

http://www.1914-1918.net/lovats1.htm

http://www.1914-1918.net/ayrshire.htm

Scott

Thanks Scott

I had trouble uploading the photo. I hope this worked. I don't think my Grandfather was in this unit as checking back he spent the last of the war in the cyclist unit in Ireland stationed at Omagh. This group remained in Beccles. C SQN 2/1st Lovat Scouts BECCLES 1917.

Regards

Gladys

post-55905-1276494836.jpg

Thanks for posting the photo Gladys, although it is difficult to enlarge and look at any details.

From what I can see, I don't believe that all of them are Lovat Scouts. some of the men on the right of the photo appear to be wearing kilts and a different pattern of Tam o Shanter than the Lovat scouts wore. Any chance of a better enlargement?

The 2/1 and 2/2 Lovat Scouts later became Cyclists. The LLT link I posted indicates that the 2/1 Ayrshire Yeomanry were converted into a Cyclist unit in July 1916. It also points out that they served in Ireland from May 1918- sounds like your Grandfather's unit.

Scott

Thanks again Scott

I am having trouble enlarging photo. I'll keep trying. I'm just down the coast from you! I have made another post with a group photo of Scots Guards in Somerset.

Regards

Gladys

I am having trouble enlarging photo. I'll keep trying. I'm just down the coast from you! I have made another post with a group photo of Scots Guards in Somerset.

Hi Gladys,

It might be worth your while adding the photos to a photobucket site where they can be viewed at larger magnification. In the other thread you posted it looks like there are some Yeomanry men in the first photo. If the photos can be enlarged it will be easier for other forum members to identify cap badges and uniform details which can identify units in photos.

I know Kiama- there are a few dry stone walls down in that area.

Scott