Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photo of Soldiers ot the Northamptonshire Regiment

PINGU2

post-55754-1276366630.jpgThis is a cropped picture of a section of the Nothamptonshire Regiment it includes my grandfather[the one with the scratched cross]Pte William Ing 31217.[with thanks to Stebie 9173]I would be interested if anybody could identify the Sergeant[is it Benjamin Cope MM] as they were both wounded on the same day ,same place.

Many thanks Pingu2

I think the picture is of William in training with the 2/4th or 3/4th Battalion of the Northamptons.

Note the shoulder of the man below. The metal title seems to show an extra piece of metal above the usual curved shoulder title - a "T" denoting a Territorial battalion.

post-6536-1276371262.jpg

post-6536-1276371199.jpg

Steve.

I am certain that that is not Sgt. Ben Cope. I'm afraid I can't name him either.

I believe the picture would have been taken in mid-1916 whilst he was in training, rather than after he got to the front.

Can you read what it says on the hut above the A5 ?

Steve.

That doesn't mean much to me apart from suggesting that it may be the single men's quarters...

Looking at the other men drafted to the 1st Battalion in December 1916, it looks like they came from the 2/4th Battalion. It was at several locations during the time William Ing would have been with them:

- Thetford until June 1916;

- Killinghall Moor Camp, Harrogate June to October 1916;

- Stockton October 1916 to November 1917.

Steve.

Many thanks again,the jigsaw pieces are gradually coming together ,considering I had next to nothing a week ago and now thanks to you I have quite abit of the picture.I'm now trying to read up all the postings on the battle of the Dunes .

regards pingu2