Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leonard Dorman 9765 1st Bn. Buffs

jmta04

Hello everybody.

I am researching Leonard Dorman one of the men who appears on the Warehorne, Kent war memorial. From his service record, he enlisted in the 1st Buffs 10th April 1912 and was killed 2nd July 1915. However, his service record simply states his term of service as in Dublin and France. I could really do with more detail regarding the battalion's movements during this period, and at the time of his death. Any other additional information would also be of use to add to what I already have (as I am sure I have probably missed things).

Thus far, I have had no success finding a photograph of this soldier, but live in hope. Also, does anyone know of any photographs depicting the battalion up to about the end of 1916?

Thanks for reading this post.

Regards,

Scobie

Name: DORMAN

Initials: L

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: The Buffs (East Kent Regiment)

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 02/07/1915

Service No: 9765

Additional information: Son of William George Dorman, of Orchard Place, Ham Street, Ashford.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Z. 22.

Cemetery: POTIJZE BURIAL GROUND CEMETERY

No doubt you have these already?

001 BATTISCOMBE CG 4298 1ST/13TH KENSINGTON BN 01/07/1916 LONDON REGIMENT

002 HARDEN P 28894 51ST BN 06/12/1919 ROYAL SUSSEX REGIMENT

003 MARSHALL TJ TF/4890 1ST/8TH BN 31/08/1916 MIDDLESEX REGIMENT

Scobie

Leonard landed in France on 7.9.1914. His Battalion was part of 16 Brigade of 6 Division.

You will get an account of where the Battalion fought from it's War Diary,which is filed at Kew Archives under WO95/1608 and runs from Aug 1914 (it arrived in France before he did) to Apr 1919.

Sotonmate

Scobie

Leonard landed in France on 7.9.1914........... (the battalion) arrived in France before he did

Other way round; he arrived before the battalion, he must have been part of an advance party. James gives the date of the 1st Buffs arrival in France as 10th September.

Hello gentlemen.

Sorry for the delay in acknowledging your replies (computer problems). Thank you for the information supplied.

I do have references to Cyril Battiscombe and Percy Harden, but Thomas John Marshall is a name completely new to me as he does not appear on the Warehone war memorial, nor on the list I have of 'missed' war dead connected to the parish. He was married and living in London by 1900 which probably accounts for his being overlooked. Thanks for bringing him to my attention.

As I am unlikely to be able to visit Kew in the forseeable future, I was hoping someone might have a regimental history and able to give the battalion's movements for the period I am looking for. However, I can see the War Diary would be especially useful covering the time of Leonard Dorman's death.

It is of interest to note that Leonard arrived in France several days before his battalion.

As I say, thanks to you all. Hopefully, there may be yet more to come.

Regards,

Scobie

• 4 weeks later...

DORMAN L

Corporal L/9765 Leonard DORMAN. 1st Battalion, The Buffs (East Kent Regiment). Died Friday 2nd July 1915 aged 21 years. Born Warehorne. Enlisted Ashford. Resided Warehorne. Son of William and Laura Dorman of Orchard Place, Hamstreet, Ashford, Kent. Formerly 2 Lime Cottage, Warehorne. Buried in the Potijze Burial Ground Cemetery, Leper, Belgium. Grave reference Z.22.

The Ashford 1918 Absentee Voters List gives –

Hamstreet

Private (Saddler) 88204 Harry DORMAN. Royal Field Artillery.

The 1901 census gives –

2, Lime Cottage, Warehorne

William DORMAN 35 Bricklayer Orlestone

Laura 33 Orlestone

William 14 Chicken Fatter Orlestone

Charles 13 Orlestone

Leonard 7 Orlestone

Harry 4 Warehorne

Laura 2 Warehorne

Edith 2m Warehorne

Leonard’s death was possibly referred to in the Buffs regimental history – On the 2nd July 1915 Corporal John Dormer of A Company, who had covered himself with glory as a scout, paid the last penalty”.

Corporal John Dormer was killed on the 13th July 1915. It is possible that the author of the regimental history may have confused these two men.

post-2961-048524500 1279199339.jpg

Hi Neil.

It's really great to hear from you.

Whilst researching names on the Warehorne War Memorial (still ongoing, other names yet to post) I have used your valuable and indispensable Kentfallen site as my starting point (even though a few of your findings do not tally with my own). I saw the post and thread by a different researcher on this (GWF) site regarding another Warehorne man, Robert Manklow, and live in the hope that my posts may be as successful as that one. I lifted a considerable amount of information from that post!

If you feel that perhaps my findings may be of use to you, do contact me.

Regards,

Scobie

Hello,

I have a Great Uncle who served in the 1st Bn Buffs from 1908 who was badly wounded in the early stages of the war, any ideas where the wounded would have been taken and is there any photos of the Battalion.

Thanks

Inniskilling

Hi there Inniskilling.

In one of my earlier posts I was asking for battalion photographs of the Buffs, unfortunately with no response on that item. I suspect that the best source would be the Buffs Regimental Museum holdings, at present held by the National Army Museum whilst its home in Canterbury is being refurbished.

As regards your wounded Great Uncle, I really don't know enough about the army medical system to comment. I would have thought there would be so many variable circumstances that could affect what happened to wounded soldier. However, I am sure that if you place a specific post on this site, you will find a number of personnel who are well versed in the subject and can give you as full an answer as possible.

Sorry I cannot be of more help,

Regards,

Scobie

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Scobie.

Thanks for your reply and help. I think my Great Uncle came back to London Hospital.

It would be nice to have a post going about the 1st Bn Buffs as there was so few who came back with the Regiment.

Regards

Inniskilling