Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thomas Blackadder Royal Scots

Desmond7

Folks - anyone out there who could help with further info on :-

Thomas Blackadder, Royal Scots, 17565 Corporal?

Irish census onlione for 1901 has thrown up a Thomas Blackadder (aged 22 in 1901) Presbyterian, living in the village of Connor, Co. Antrim. Never featured in our family history and I am seeking to find out more.

He is not on the Irish census of 1911 - so, he's dead or moved on. I am thinking Scotland as a possibility thus seeking clarification/possible link to man above.

Any help/pointers appreciated.

Des

Hi

Amazingly there are 2 of them - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...mp;mediaarray=*

1911 Scotland census not up yet and cant find anything in deaths using his name and birth of 1879+-1

Using the last name brings up a list of 5 deaths from 1915 to 1960 but as I dont have a subscription, I cant look.

A search of marriages brings up 2 from 1897 to 1940 using his full name?

regards

Robert

Thanks very much folks - the search goes on!

Sign up for ScotlandsPeople if you have not already done so. It is quite easy and relatively cheap to use, one you have cracked how to narrow searches down before you pay.

1 Thomas Blackadder born in Scotland in 1887 , 2 marriages from 1895 to 1920 (both in 1896). You can get online birth cert which would give you parents. If you don't want to pay, you can spoof it to get place of birth, but not parents

Folks - anyone out there who could help with further info on :-

Thomas Blackadder, Royal Scots, 17565 Corporal?

Irish census onlione for 1901 has thrown up a Thomas Blackadder (aged 22 in 1901) Presbyterian, living in the village of Connor, Co. Antrim. Never featured in our family history and I am seeking to find out more.

He is not on the Irish census of 1911 - so, he's dead or moved on. I am thinking Scotland as a possibility thus seeking clarification/possible link to man above.

Any help/pointers appreciated.

Des

Tom Blackadder was a member of 15RS. Wounded on the first day of the Somme, I was told by a man who was wounded close to him. They lay in No Man's Land until nightfall and then began a slow and painful crawl back toward what they imagined to be the British line. It turned into quite a tale. Tom seems to have been a particularly tall soldier - possibly well over six feet.

Tom Blackadder was a member of 15RS. Wounded on the first day of the Somme, I was told by a man who was wounded close to him. They lay in No Man's Land until nightfall and then began a slow and painful crawl back toward what they imagined to be the British line. It turned into quite a tale. Tom seems to have been a particularly tall soldier - possibly well over six feet.

Do you know if he was Scot's or Irish? if it's the former it isn't Desmonds man as he was born in Antrim.

Sam

Des

Further to my post #7 above, his Mothers name is given as A. Blackadder, in the 1901 Census Thomas' Mother is listed as Agnes, in 1911 she's a Widow still in Connor living with her 25 year old Son James, so the 9th Bn RIR casualty could be the one you're looking for? According to SDGW he was born in Newtonards and enlisted Belfast.

Sam

Sam - different families I'm afraid.

The Connor Blackadders are 'my crew'

The Belfast/N'Ards Blackadders are (as far as I know) only very loosely related.

Sam - different families I'm afraid.

The Connor Blackadders are 'my crew'

The Belfast/N'Ards Blackadders are (as far as I know) only very loosely related.

Tom Blackadder 15RS was Scottish.