Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1907 wilkinson bayonet

jscott

Hello all

Further to my thread below (relating to the markings on a German 98/05 bayonet), I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on the markings on a 1907 bayonet I own. It is manufactured by Wilkinson and dated 10/15: "Crown - GR - 1907 - 10 15". There is no cleaning hole. On the opposite side of the ricasso to the date/ manufacturer there are a number of further (regimental?) markings, (plus the arrow and cross (bend test?)) and I don't know what some of them mean. Between the cross and arrow there is a marking "Crown - T5 - E" in three rows. To the right of this there is a marking "Crown - J3 - E" and to the left of the cross there is a further marking which is almost illegible but I think it says "Crown - BR - E".

There do not appear to be any other markings on the bayonet or scabbard.

Can anyone suggest what these markings mean? And is there an online resource for such markings? I have looked but cant find anything that matches. I would love to be able to track down what these markings mean, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jonathan

Actually, on closer inspection the final marking looks more like "Crown - 'reversed R' R - E"

thanks, Jonathan

Actually, on closer inspection the final marking looks more like "Crown - 'reversed R' R - E"

thanks, Jonathan

I think that you will find these are standard inspector marks applied at different points in the manufacturing process to certify that the blade etc meets certain standards (like the bend test)

Chris

I think that you will find these are standard inspector marks applied at different points in the manufacturing process to certify that the blade etc meets certain standards (like the bend test)

Chris

Some examples - are these the markings to which you are referring?

post-14525-1276304466.jpg

post-14525-1276304471.jpg

Chris

Can anyone suggest what these markings mean? And is there an online resource for such markings? I have looked but cant find anything that matches. I would love to be able to track down what these markings mean, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jonathan

Hi Jonathan, those markings are just the inspection stamps as Chris has already correctly identified.

For a quick and useful online reference I like THIS WEBPAGE for its clear and simple explanations. Chris has pretty much covered it all though.

Cheers, S>S

Just to expand slightly on Chris's excellent pictures, inspection marks consisted of a crown over the inspector's number over the location. Thus in the case of one of your stamps, the inspector's number was "T5" and he was based at "E", RSAF Enfield. Other locations might be "B" for BSA Birmingham or "A" for British inspectors working in America.

Regimental markings were not applied to the blade, but to the pommel. If you search the Forum for Pattern '07 bayonets you will find a number of threads with regimental marked examples.

Regards

TonyE

Chris, Tony and SS

Thanks for the responses - that is very helpful. Yes the stamps i referred to look to be inspector stamps (plus there is also a stamp for the bend test and acceptance stamp). No reissue date though - and given that there is no clearance hole either presumably this one never went back to the factory.

The website and the attachments are also very useful.

Cheers, J

• 3 years later...

Any inspector marks on the blade tang for that one? They do sometimes appear.