Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Yorkshire Regiment

towisuk

Looking for some help.....................

I have a man, John Mason, 201785, WYR 2nd/5th batt, who died on 19/5/17 and is buried at Etaples Military Cemetery.

I believe that he was wounded in some action around Ypres, does anyone have any information regarding the activities of this battalion for the preceeding couple of months, March/April??

All help is appreciated...I'm stuck with this one.....

regards

Tom

Hello Tom,

Unless someone beats me to it, I will have a look at Wyrall's regimental history when I get home from work. I'll let you know what he says.

Cheers,

Nigel

Tom

2/5 WYR part of 185 Bde of 62 Division. He is likely to have been wounded at the Battle of Bullecourt (Arras) 3 to 17 May 1917.

Prior to this mid-March German retreat to the Hindenberg Line,

1st Battle of Bullecourt 11 Apr,

German attack on Lagnicourt 15 April.

Sotonmate

Many thanks for replying to my post, the information I have is that he had a sister visit him in hospital, this visit would take some time to organise

and wonder if she could have done it that soon after the Battle of Bullecourt. He was able to write a letter home when in hospital, and the family

seem to have it that the wounds were inccured in the Ypres area.

Looking forward to any more information you might have

thanks and regards

Tom

Thanks for the heads up on that book Ady...

Sotonmate came up with a good suggestion as to where this man could have been wounded,. dates seem to match up quite well etc

The only problem I have is that his sister had time to visit him in hospital in France before he died, making the time-line quite tight....

So his suggestions of the earlier events could be the ones to concentrate on..

regards

Tom

Hi Tom.

From Skirrow, the lads that died of their wounds in various C.C.S. and Hospitals:

Frank Betson

Percival Wrightson

John Green

Ernest Blakey

Christopher Horner

Edward Carey

George Ware

John Mason

Joseph Eccles

Peter Ogone

On a research point, some of these lads with a Harrogate connection and it's environs are commemorated in Ackrill's Harrogate War Souvenir.

If you have a specific interest in the above publication, a good Forum Pal and a good friend of mine 'Pighills' maybe able to help you.

Ca Ira!

Chris.

Thanks for that Chris that's a big help, Sotonmate got it right with his earlier post, the thing that threw me was the family insisting that he was wounded at Ypres. So Bullecourt it is.

to one and all....many thanks for your contributions on this one, all valuable inputs....

regards

Tom

Can I be of help? I have the complete collection if you need a look up.

Hi Chris, long time no speak, hope all's well.

I have John Mason's photo, and there are also two newspaper articles about him on 19th and 23rd May 1917 (probably quite similar in content). If you'd like the articles I'm quite happy to pop along to the library and transcribe them for you, just let me know.

croppedphoto-3.jpg

I have John Mason's photo, and there are also two newspaper articles about him on 19th and 23rd May 1917 (probably quite similar in content). If you'd like the articles I'm quite happy to pop along to the library and transcribe them for you, just let me know.

croppedphoto-3.jpg

Kim, many thanks...absolutely delighted with your offer...yes please!!

Just so there's no mistake..the John mason I'm researching has the West Yorkshire Regiment, 2/5th Battalion No of.....201785, age 38 when he died of wounds 19/05/1917, and is buried at Etaples Military Cemetery

I'm over the moon with the offers of information from forum members..

thank you again

Tom

p's' If I'm slow getting back to you all after this, its because I'm in Bailleul for a week and may have internet availability problems.......

Hi Tom,

seems visits could be arranged quite quickly, below are the details from a local newspaper regarding my great uncle :

Mrs. W. Parker, received information on May 5th that her husband, Private Walker Parker, of the West Yorkshire Regiment, had been admitted to the 3rd Canadian General Hospital, Boulogne, On May 6th a telegram from the Record Office, York stated that he was dangerously ill and could be visited. Mrs. Parker undertook the journey to Boulogne, and arrived there 24 hours before her husband's death, which occurred on the 9th inst., the official notice stating that his death was the result of wounds received in action, and bronchial pneumonia. Private Parker recognised his wife and made enquiries about his two children. Mrs. Parker spoke well of the kindness shown to her by officials and nurses during her visit. She remained at Boulogne until after the funeral, which took place at Eastern Boulogne Cemetery on Sunday morning. Private Parker was 30 years of age. He enlisted in June 1917, and went to France in October. He was formerly employed by the Midland Railway Company as a porter.

regards,

John.

Yep, absolutely the same bloke, his former number was 4128, also in the WYR.

PM me with your email and I'll go along through the week and get them for you.

From the other list of men Chris posted, I have Percy Wrightson and Chris Horner. If they are part of your research let me know and I'll send those details over too.

Hi Kim.

Great info once again!

And, once again apologies as regards our 'meet up.'

Beers are on me next time in Harrogate, and, i will definately arrange a date.

My best wishes Kim, to you and the family.

Chris.

Hi Tom,

seems visits could be arranged quite quickly, below are the details from a local newspaper regarding my great uncle :

Mrs. W. Parker, received information on May 5th that her husband, Private Walker Parker, of the West Yorkshire Regiment, had been admitted to the 3rd Canadian General Hospital, Boulogne, On May 6th a telegram from the Record Office, York stated that he was dangerously ill and could be visited. Mrs. Parker undertook the journey to Boulogne, and arrived there 24 hours before her husband's death, which occurred on the 9th inst., the official notice stating that his death was the result of wounds received in action, and bronchial pneumonia. Private Parker recognised his wife and made enquiries about his two children. Mrs. Parker spoke well of the kindness shown to her by officials and nurses during her visit. She remained at Boulogne until after the funeral, which took place at Eastern Boulogne Cemetery on Sunday morning. Private Parker was 30 years of age. He enlisted in June 1917, and went to France in October. He was formerly employed by the Midland Railway Company as a porter.

regards,

John.

Hi John, many thanks for that,I'm absolutely blown away with the response to my enquiries, I can only reiterate my gratitude to you all, this forum is full of kind and helpful "Pals"

regards

Tom

Yep, absolutely the same bloke, his former number was 4128, also in the WYR.

PM me with your email and I'll go along through the week and get them for you.

From the other list of men Chris posted, I have Percy Wrightson and Chris Horner. If they are part of your research let me know and I'll send those details over too.

My email address on its way.......thanks for your help....

regards

Tom