Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need your help again guys

museumtom

Just researching an old article in a newspaper which says that three particular Kilkenny men died at Suvla. Sergeant Michael O'Keeffe, Ptes K Meehan and this is the difficult one W.O'Connell from Maudlin Street.

The only W. O'Connell that fits the bill is

O'CONNELL, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment

Unit Text: 7th Bn.

Date of Death: 09/08/1915

Service No: 11030

Additional information: Husband of Mrs. Annie O'Connell, of 6, Freeman St., Wolverhampton.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 134 to 136.

Memorial: HELLES MEMORIAL

Nothing in SDGW shows a Kilkenny connection.

Can I pick your brains lads and lassies and ask for your imput please?

All help is most welcome as I have exhausted my efforts on this one.

Thanking you one and all in advance.

Kind regards.

Tom

Hello,

There is a William O'Connell in the 1911 census (Wolverhampton), aged 40 married to Annie but he his born in Wednesbury, Staffordshire. His wife is from Co Donegal. He's an old soldier (Army Pensioned storekeeper) and his son was born St Nicholas Barracks, Malta.

heres the chap above in 1911:

O CONNELL, William Head Married Army Pensioned Assistant Storekeeper born 1871 Wednesbury Staffordshire

O CONNELL, Annie Wife Married 16 years born 1877 White Hill of St Johnstone Co Donsgal or London Deary

Living at 30 Portland Place Wolverhampton

There is this William in 1911

O CONNELL, William Single Private born 1873 Limerick Co Limerick

with the 1st Royal Dublin Fusiliers, Ahmednagar, Deccan, India

Cant see a death for him though

Grant

Thanks for the leads lads. The article was written in 1916 and I reckon this O'Connell lad died in August 1915. I had tried to drop the 'o' without success.

The clues are, Name; W O'Connell, date of death; August 1915, so he will be in a Turkish cemetery or on a memorial there or even in Egypt or Malta.

Thinking out loud and looking through the Kilkenny War dead while I was writing this I think this is my man;

CONNELL, MICHAEL. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Connaught Rangers. Unit: 5th Battalion. Age at death: 23. Date of Death: 24-August-1915. Service No: 5/3787(CWGC) 3787(SDGW). Born in Kilkenny. Enlisted in Carlow while living in Kilkenny. Died of wounds in Gallipoli. Supplementary information: Son of Thomas and Catherine Connell, of 22, Maudlin St., Kilkenny. Grave or Memorial Reference: J. 71. Cemetery: Alexandria (Chatby) Military and War Memorial Cemetery in Egypt.

Thanks for all the help lads.

That is another one who will not be left out in the cold.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

Thanks for the leads lads. The article was written in 1916 and I reckon this O'Connell lad died in August 1915. I had tried to drop the 'o' without success.

The clues are, Name; W O'Connell, date of death; August 1915, so he will be in a Turkish cemetery or on a memorial there or even in Egypt or Malta.

Thinking out loud and looking through the Kilkenny War dead while I was writing this I think this is my man;

CONNELL, MICHAEL. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Connaught Rangers. Unit: 5th Battalion. Age at death: 23. Date of Death: 24-August-1915. Service No: 5/3787(CWGC) 3787(SDGW). Born in Kilkenny. Enlisted in Carlow while living in Kilkenny. Died of wounds in Gallipoli. Supplementary information: Son of Thomas and Catherine Connell, of 22, Maudlin St., Kilkenny. Grave or Memorial Reference: J. 71. Cemetery: Alexandria (Chatby) Military and War Memorial Cemetery in Egypt.

Thanks for all the help lads.

That is another one who will not be left out in the cold.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

think this is your man and family on the 1911 census. The street name has been transcribed wrongly.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/page..._Street/525979/

with the family in 2 houses in 1901

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/page...Street/1449958/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/page...Street/1450017/

His medal card indicated he only entered the theatre on 21st July 1915.

on Ancestry, Ireland's Memorial Records has 8 chaps from Kilkenny died in Gallipoli in August 1915 and 4 in France.

Thanks for the help Johnnie but Maudlin Street is the correct spelling, and there were 10 casualties from that street. who died in ww1. There were 20 men from Kilkenny who died in August-1915 also. These three are only mentioned in an article as they were friends of the writer.

Many thanks.

regards.

Tom.

Thanks for the help Johnnie but Maudlin Street is the correct spelling, and there were 10 casualties from that street. who died in ww1. There were 20 men from Kilkenny who died in August-1915 also. These three are only mentioned in an article as they were friends of the writer.

Many thanks.

regards.

Tom.

In the census index it's spelt Mandler Street rather than Maudlin St so a search for Maudlin St in the 1911 census won't work.

I have sent an email to Damien in the local studies section of the Kilkenny Library and will let you know the outcome. Its as much a mystery to me as it s to you.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Just got a reply, you are correct, the Mandler Street on the census should be Maudlin Street, he presumes this error will be corrected in time. Well spotted!!

Kind regards.

Tom.

Hi,

His regimental number 5/3787 would have him enlisting into the 5th Battalion around Dec 1914/Jan 1915

I have these numbers/dates for the 5th Battalion

3593 1914 Dec 14

3829 1915 Feb 9

Regards Mark