Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Battalion, Rifle Brigade 1914

ANCHAN777

I wonder if anyone could help me....I`m trying to find out more information about my grand-father CSM Richard C Pompa, who after returning from Dagshai to Britain, went on to the Front in 1914. We would dearly love to have more information or photos of the Rifle Brigade, because we know very little of my grand-father, his family and what happened to him in 1915. Thank you very much in anticipation.

His MIC is on TNA (£2 to download) - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Medal card of Pompa, Richard

Corps Regiment No Rank

Rifle Brigade 6376 Company Serjeant Major

Rifle Brigade 6376 Colour Serjeant

Found a Mary POMPA and her 2 sons in the 1911:

Mary, married 7 years, born 1881 Dublin, Ireland

Joseph, aged 6, born Dublin, Ireland

Charles Richard, aged 2, born Malta

Living at 4th Bn The Rifle Brigade, Citadel, Cario, Egypt

And (mis transcribed)

PO PA, Richard, Serjent, Married born 1882 Newport Hampshire with an occuppation as a Labourer

Hopefully your man

Grant

His MIC is on TNA (£2 to download) - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Medal card of Pompa, Richard

Corps Regiment No Rank

Rifle Brigade 6376 Company Serjeant Major

Rifle Brigade 6376 Colour Serjeant

Found a Mary POMPA and her 2 sons in the 1911:

Mary, married 7 years, born 1881 Dublin, Ireland

Joseph, aged 6, born Dublin, Ireland

Charles Richard, aged 2, born Malta

Living at 4th Bn The Rifle Brigade, Citadel, Cario, Egypt

And (mis transcribed)

PO PA, Richard, Serjent, Married born 1882 Newport Hampshire with an occuppation as a Labourer

Hopefully your man

Grant

Dear Grant......

I really can`t thank you enough for your help. This is an amazing amount of information and thankyou for pointing me in the direction of National Archives.

It all matches with his wife`s name and sons too. Thank you so much....that`s brilliant.

If I went to the Imperial War Museum do you think it might be possible for me to find any photos?

Best Regards Joyce

Joyce,

Your grandfather died of wounds on the 25/5/15 and is buried in Ballieul Communal Cemetery Extension. He went overseas to France on the 20/12/14 with the battalion and received the 1914-15 Star, British War and Victory Medals. There is no mention of him in the war diary but the battalion received 207 wounded men between the 8th to 14th May being relieved in the trenches by the 4th K.R.R.C. and the P.P.C.L.I. then had a quiet period in Vlamertinghe until the 24th when they moved up to support the 28th Division in case of emergency as this Division had been attacked by gas.

On the 25th at dusk they were ordered to dig a fresh line of trenches south of the Menin Road with their left on the road itself, joining up on the right with the 3rd & 4th K.R.R.C.'s at Zouave Wood. 6 men were killed and 50 wounded during this.

Andy

post-1871-1276207262.jpg

Joyce,

Your grandfather died of wounds on the 25/5/15 and is buried in Ballieul Communal Cemetery Extension. He went overseas to France on the 20/12/14 with the battalion and received the 1914-15 Star, British War and Victory Medals. There is no mention of him in the war diary but the battalion received 207 wounded men between the 8th to 14th May being relieved in the trenches by the 4th K.R.R.C. and the P.P.C.L.I. then had a quiet period in Vlamertinghe until the 24th when they moved up to support the 28th Division in case of emergency as this Division had been attacked by gas.

On the 25th at dusk they were ordered to dig a fresh line of trenches south of the Menin Road with their left on the road itself, joining up on the right with the 3rd & 4th K.R.R.C.'s at Zouave Wood. 6 men were killed and 50 wounded during this.

Andy

Dear Andy.....It`s an amazing piece of information....and gives a much clearer picture as to what happened. We were totally unaware of any information regarding his whereabouts once he left Dagshai....then very sadly we know he had died the following year. It`s a huge piece of information regarding his gravestone too. Now we can put that to rights and go and viist Ballieul. I can`t thank you enough for all your help....it means a lot not only to me, but to pass on to my grand-children. Best Regards Joyce and Thankyou

• 2 weeks later...

Joyce, isnt it amazing the help and information you get here at the Great War Forum, I to have been helped a great deal by the wonderful men and women here. And so fantastic Andy could give you a pic....great stuff

Wendy :)

Joyce, isnt it amazing the help and information you get here at the Great War Forum, I to have been helped a great deal by the wonderful men and women here. And so fantastic Andy could give you a pic....great stuff

Wendy :)

Dear Wend....It`s been great finding this site....which is hugely helpful, but especially as you say....a huge thanks is due to those men and women who have gone out of their way to find out so much information for me regarding my grand-father.

Best Regards...Joyce

• 5 months later...

I am looking for Alfred George Perryman 1766 private in the Rifle Brigade. I know that he served in Cairo in 1911 from the census. He had the normal trio of great war medals 1914-15 star British war medal, victory medal and silver war badge. His medal card shows he served in France and was medically unfit on discharge (hence silver war badge). I am told that he was gassed in France.

Can anyone help with this enquiry, I am a bit lost, his war records no longer exist.

Thanks Roy

I note that Sgt Pompa was with 4th Bn in Cairo in 1911 (1911 census..); in the Rifle Brigade Chronicle of 1910 he was also in Cairo, and reported as coming 7th in the 600yds Rifle shooting contest in the Cairo Rifle Meeting ! (the Rifle Bde always being very keen on shooting..), but no other mentions of him as far as I can see - and in the 1910-1910-1911-1912 Rifle Brigade Chronicles there are very few photos of men in 4th Battalion. (there is one photo of a hockey team but with only some men identified by name..). He is not listed as a colour sergeant for any specific company at that time as far as I can see. The Chronicles do provide a report of battalion life in Alexandria and Cairo and Khartoum in those years - they seem to have been posted to India from Khartoum mid 1912.

david

an error in that last message- there is a photo of the 4th Battalion Sgts Mess in Khartoum 1912 in the 1912 Rifle Brigade Chronicle.. which would seem likely to include Sgt Pompa! If you would like to see this, perhaps PM me and I could email a quality scan for you ..unfortunately no names to ID individuals..

david

• 13 years later...
On 09/06/2010 at 20:04, ANCHAN777 said:

I wonder if anyone could help me....I`m trying to find out more information about my grand-father CSM Richard C Pompa, who after returning from Dagshai to Britain, went on to the Front in 1914. We would dearly love to have more information or photos of the Rifle Brigade, because we know very little of my grand-father, his family and what happened to him in 1915. Thank you very much in anticipation.

A very old thread, but a PM sent anyway as I believe I have an image of Richard Pompa on a School of Musketry group photo taken in 1910.

Hi Mike, 

I'm not sure if my previous message got through.

My email address is :

Removed by moderator 

Look forward to hearing any further information from you....Many thanks Joyce 

• Admin

I’ve removed your email address from your post, it’s never a good idea to post personal information on a public forum. 

Replied directly to you now Joyce via email. 
…..and thanks Michelle.

Mike 

Edited by mrfrank

2 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

I’ve removed your email address from your post, it’s never a good idea to post personal information on a public forum. 

Many thanks Michelle, it's been a while since I've used this resource for research.