Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stockport and the RWF

RWFmedals

A chum has suggested we have a few members from the Stockport area on the forum. Could any members expand any details on the two men listed below? I have very little information on them. The only clue I have as to a starting point for research is that they are both noted in the London Gazette as being linked to Stockport in some way. Neither seem to have service \ pension papers that have survived. Regimental records \ war diaries etc have drawn a blank.

Hopefully someone may have stumbled over these men during local research.

36887 Sgt Stephen Richard Powell 16th Bn Royal Welch Fusiliers

He was awarded his Military Medal on the 31st October 1918 for bravery in action at Montay on the 20th September 1918. The award appeared in the London Gazetted 11th February 1919.

316766 Pte Charles Brown 24th Bn Royal Welch Fusiliers

Military Medal was Gazetted on the 13th March 1919.

Both late awards. Can anyone advise any local resources, period newspapers, local history groups etc who may be able to find out any more details?

TIA

Richard

Richard

Can't help much with Stockport.

Sgt Powell was previously in the 10th Bn and was wounded in the 1st Battle of Scarpe 8th April 1917. Shown as L/Sergt S A Powell in the printed Diary (P70)

The only Stephen Richard Powell in FreeBMD is at Wem in Sept Qtr 1892. There is a Stephen Powell 1893 at Prees in the 1901. I haven't got 1911 to see if this family moved North or where this particular Stephen Powell may be.

Hywyn

edit

Richard

I'm afraid my particular interest is in the town's fatalities so I havnt come across your men.

However, the Local Heritage Library keeps an extensive, and readily accessible, archive of newspaper cuttings. Most are obituaries but I know there are some that relate to gallantry awards. The Library staff are very helpful and I'm sure would do a look-up and post you photocopies of anything they have. Contact details here

John

Gents

Very many thanks for your time. I will let you know how I get on.

Hywyn, You have found the same 'possible' as I have for Powell, who appears on the 1911 also in the same location. I wonder if between 1911 & 1914 he moved Stockport way?

John, fantastic effort on your website. I was hoping there might not be as many Brown's which might open a path of investigation for Charles, alas back to Jones, Williams and Evans!

Whilst browsing your site I noticed another RWF gallantry winner. I have some more information for you, I will need to dig it out, but I believe his MM was a downgraded DCM. It was also awarded for the action on the same day he died, and whilst I concur the MM was not a posthumous decoration, I have uncovered a number of cases in the RWF where this has happened.

I also traced his original Cheshire Regt number as 1297, enlisting in August 1912 which will alter your write up a little. Will dig out some more for you when I find my notes.

Thanks again

Richard

• 2 weeks later...
A chum has suggested we have a few members from the Stockport area on the forum. Could any members expand any details on the two men listed below? I have very little information on them. The only clue I have as to a starting point for research is that they are both noted in the London Gazette as being linked to Stockport in some way. Neither seem to have service \ pension papers that have survived. Regimental records \ war diaries etc have drawn a blank.

Hopefully someone may have stumbled over these men during local research.

36887 Sgt Stephen Richard Powell 16th Bn Royal Welch Fusiliers

He was awarded his Military Medal on the 31st October 1918 for bravery in action at Montay on the 20th September 1918. The award appeared in the London Gazetted 11th February 1919.

316766 Pte Charles Brown 24th Bn Royal Welch Fusiliers

Military Medal was Gazetted on the 13th March 1919.

Both late awards. Can anyone advise any local resources, period newspapers, local history groups etc who may be able to find out any more details?

TIA

Richard

Hi Richard,

I have put this search on "My to do list" the next time I visit Stockport Heritage Library Reference.

I've has some excellent results there in the past.

ttfn,

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks very much for the offer mate. Another member has also offered to have a sniff for me. Obviously I don't want to waste any of your valuable time, but will let you know if he is unable to make it if that is ok.

Thanks again.

Richard

Richard

Again, I suggest you simply give the Library a ring or drop them an email.

It is an extremely simple job for the staff to check their newspaper archive files; photocopy the extracts if there are any and post them to you.

John