Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

115400? Godber D .RAMC.

Tin-man48

tm48

You are in luck,he has a service record on Ancestry UK,in fact two lots,one as RAMC and the other on release from RAMC(No 115400) to the Labour Corps (No.700694).

He attested in Dec 1915 but was not called up until Apr 1917,when he joined RAMC at Blackpool. Soon after he was in hospital with a Myopia problem,which might explain why it seems he did not serve overseas with RAMC,joining BEF with the Labour Corps in 1919.

The papers will show which units he served in to receive entitlement to two campaign medals.

Sotonmate

His Labour Corps number means he was one of the men who re-enlisted in 1919 for 1 year's service in France on exhumation and burial duties.

He served in 723 and 119 Companies. Although we do not have exact locstions for these Companies during 1919 and 1920 we do know that in 1919 723 were on the Somme at Cleury for part of the time.

Indeed in August 1919 the MP for Hull asked a question about them.

"Major ENTWISTLE asked the Secretary of State for War if he will inquire into the accuracy of the statements made by a soldier in the 723rd Labour Corps, British Expeditionary Force, France, that while employed in the exhumation of bodies at Cleury, on the Somme, for a period of a fortnight, they had to camp without a ground sheet or a blanket; that they were unable to get a smoke or a paper or soap, and received no pay for a month, and that the food was unsatisfactory; and whether he will take disciplinary action if the above statements are correct?"

Details of his WW1 RAMC service can be found in the records that comprise of 26 pages. This shows that he did serve overseas with the RAMC un Egypt sailing from the UK on 30 July 1917

Regards

Ivor

tm48

You are in luck,he has a service record on Ancestry UK,in fact two lots,one as RAMC and the other on release from RAMC(No 115400) to the Labour Corps (No.700694).

He attested in Dec 1915 but was not called up until Apr 1917,when he joined RAMC at Blackpool. Soon after he was in hospital with a Myopia problem,which might explain why it seems he did not serve overseas with RAMC,joining BEF with the Labour Corps in 1919.

The papers will show which units he served in to receive entitlement to two campaign medals.

Sotonmate

"Wow" what a warm and informative introduction to the GWF.. I only went on a place to play, many many thanks. George E Godber.

tm48

My mistake,I think,it should be Myalgia !

Sotonmate

His Labour Corps number means he was one of the men who re-enlisted in 1919 for 1 year's service in France on exhumation and burial duties.

He served in 723 and 119 Companies. Although we do not have exact locstions for these Companies during 1919 and 1920 we do know that in 1919 723 were on the Somme at Cleury for part of the time.

Indeed in August 1919 the MP for Hull asked a question about them.

"Major ENTWISTLE asked the Secretary of State for War if he will inquire into the accuracy of the statements made by a soldier in the 723rd Labour Corps, British Expeditionary Force, France, that while employed in the exhumation of bodies at Cleury, on the Somme, for a period of a fortnight, they had to camp without a ground sheet or a blanket; that they were unable to get a smoke or a paper or soap, and received no pay for a month, and that the food was unsatisfactory; and whether he will take disciplinary action if the above statements are correct?"

Details of his WW1 RAMC service can be found in the records that comprise of 26 pages. This shows that he did serve overseas with the RAMC un Egypt sailing from the UK on 30 July 1917

Regards

Ivor

Hi Ivor, New member says many thanks for your very helpful and fascinating information, you have given me a great start in my research.. Kind regards, George E Godber.

tm48

My mistake,I think,it should be Myalgia !

Sotonmate

Hi again, many thanks for your update.. Regards, George E Godber.