Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

please help with identification and usage info

Guest barneyboo

Guest barneyboo

Hi there, I have recently come across an old shell casing which has been in my partners family for quite some time. I have attached a few pictures of the casing and hope it helps you tell me a bit more about it. The casing is dated 1902 and has a few other printings which are as follows : C/97.98KarlsruheRoman numeral : XAnd "52" I would appreciate it if you could give me a little more information on this casing. Many thanks, Brian Hughes Northern Ireland.

post-55831-1275989113.jpg

post-55831-1275989124.jpg

Normaly, it's for the german 37mm pompom Anti-aircraft. If you give me the diameter I would be sure. It's worth a 15 euro.

The grenade on the right is the one which should fit on the shell ;)

HPIM1622.jpg

Not really my field, But isn't 1902 a little early for an Anti aircraft round?

:lol: nice!

not my area either (so I don't know if the ID is correct) but I believe a large number of existing weapons-types were utilized in AA roles so perhaps what is being indicated is that this is a shell casing from a German 37mm many of which were used in the Anti-Aircraft role and thus most shells from the great war period are from this use.... clearly if the case is dated 1902 it is unlikely that it was initially intended for AA use, as you point out... although it may still have been used in that fashion 12-16 years later.

As I say - no idea if the initial ID is accurate but your observation made me smile (a good thing today as it happens!)

Chris

AnticipAtion! :D

Classic Answer :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

But it still can be for AA. It's not because the shell is made in 1902 for fieldarmour, that it can't be used in 1917 as AA!

So is it proof that Germany was preparing for War in 1902 and "anticipating" attack from the skies!!!!

Damn cunning those Huns!!!

So is it proof that Germany was preparing for War in 1902 and "anticipating" attack from the skies!!!!

Damn cunning those Huns!!!

No, but can you please read first previous comments before you say something like that <_<

Hi there, I have recently come across an old shell casing which has been in my partners family for quite some time. I have attached a few pictures of the casing and hope it helps you tell me a bit more about it. The casing is dated 1902 and has a few other printings which are as follows : C/97.98KarlsruheRoman numeral : XAnd "52" I would appreciate it if you could give me a little more information on this casing. Many thanks, Brian Hughes Northern Ireland.

Hello, Brian - It is a shell case for a naval 37mm round. [Roman numerals were used to indicate the month of manufacture on naval shell cases, so the "X" denotes the month October.] The naval 37mm gun was designed for general naval use against small boats, etc. During WWI many of the naval 37mm guns were turned over to the German army, where they primarily were used as antiaircraft guns (light flak) to defend airfields and observation balloons. Regards, Torrey

• 1 year later...

Manufactured in Karlsruhe on the Rhine. Much favoured by Boers to the point that British versions by Vickers were developed but lost favour in '14-'18 since wouldn't explode on contact with fabric fuselage and ineffective for anti personnel compared with shrapnel so was much modified

The capital M shown on your casing denotes Marine/Naval spec.

Maybe, since Wilbur and Orville didn't do their thing till the following year.:thumbsup: