Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Irish Hussars

Rosemary Clarke

I have a contact whose British grandfather served throughout WW1 with the Royal Irish Hussars - not sure of the battalion. From the conversation, I believe they were in India just prior to the war and were diverted to France during an intended return home in September 1914.

Are there any experts out there who might know, for example, whether war diaries are viewable other than at Kew and any other sources of information, particularly on-line?

Many thanks in advance.

Rosemary

Rosemary.

I do not know if this is of any help but the Sussex Combined Services Museum, which, includes the museum of the Queens Royal Irish Hussars may be of interest to you in your researches, whilst they did not have the war diary for the 8th Royal Irish Hussars 30/11/18, which I needed for a book I am writing, which when I got it from the PRO named all casualties as opposed to just officers, the museum did provide help in my quest for information.

The address is Sussex Combined Services Museum, Redoubt Fortress, Royal Parade, Eastbourne, Sussex, BN22 7AQ.

Telephone; 01323 732240.

Hope this of interest to you, I do not know of any other source for war diaries re Royal Irish Hussars, whilst I have struck lucky with other reimental museums for those of other regiments diaries, it would seem an element of pot-luck regarding records etc held by each.

David.

Thanks for your help, David.

As far as war diaries are concerned, I think I've got too used to the luxury of Berkshire, Wiltshire and Gloucestershire regimental diaries being available on-line!

Rosemary

Rosemary.

I hope that you get a positive response from Eastbourne, your comment re the war diaries of the regiments concerned being on line is something which I have learned, and have made a note of for possible future use.

David.