Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Demob.

Guest redrum

Guest redrum

Were the demobilized servicemen of 1918-19 given a demob suit like they were after WW2?

Were they allowed to keep for instance their greatcoat and boots like after WW2?

The soldier was allowed to keep his greatcoat on demobilzation, however £1 was stopped out of his pay. If, within a specified period, he chose to return it, he reported to the cloakroom attendant at his local railway station with the garment and the greatcoat voucher that was issued to him on demob, and he received the money back.

Demob suits were issued; plain with a choice of colours: Blue, Dark Grey, Light Grey, Dark Brown, and Light Brown.

Terry Reeves

Interesting post and answer. Does anyone know if this was the same for CEF troops? I know that my grandfather came away with his helmet and gasmask, but don't know if these were legal.

marc

Greetings

I Seen on a number of Last Pay Certificates that a clothing allowance was made in the amount of $35.00 to Members of the C.E.F. I also have a 85th Battalion uniform that made it home with the wearer. I could not find any indication in the service record that he had to pay for it.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.