Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/South Lancs August 24th 1914

Jerrymurland

The South Lancs WD for 24th is brief and lacking a great deal of info. It states that owing to the battalion on 'our left' being driven back' the enemy were able to enfilade C and D Companies. Presumably the battalion they are referring to was the 3 Worcesters? Has anyone got the detail from the South Lancs history as to what actually happened and could possibly correct me if I am wrong. . Its getting quite confusing amongst all those slag heaps!!

Jerry

• 2 weeks later...

Jerry

From "Ich Dien" ( I have emboldened a few points).

“After breakfast on the 23rd August the battalion left Framieres by the Ciply Road fully expecting another long march, but on arrival it was halted and the companies told to collect all the picks and shovels that could be found.

……

By 5.30 p.m. that evening the battalion had entrenched and was holding the left sector of the 7th Infantry Brigade front, with the 3rd Bn Worcestershire Regiment on its right.

……

The history also includes an extract from a letter written by Lt-Col C Wanliss, CO of 2nd Bn, shortly after the action in which he states, “(I was) more impressed than ever that our chief weakness lay on our left flank, where the railway embankment would afford excellent cover for the enemy’s infantry, only some 500 yards from the left of our line. I therefore told Travis-Cook, commanding “D” Company, to throw back his left and ordered the two machine-guns to support that flank.

…..

At daybreak (24th)…….the enemy’s artillery opened a tremendous fire on Framieres and after some time the whole place was in a blaze.

…..

At one time a German battery took up a poition on a hill about 1,200 yards to the left of our line…and began to enfilade our trenches….

….

When the town of Framieres was set on fire our six battalions which I had been told were occupying it must have fallen back as the German batteries advanced into it and were beyond our left flank and were enfilading the rear of our position. Simultaneously, the German infantry lined the railway embankment on our left and swarmed under the railway bridge and formed up behind two or three houses on our side of it. At this time our two machine guns and “D” Company simply mowed down the enemy but they still came on and eventually there were 8 German gins and about two battalions in action within 400 yards of outr left, enfilading the whole of the line, with the exception of “D” Company and the machine guns.

……

Our retirement was covered by “A” and “B” Companies…..”

Not sure how much help this is, but it states that the Worcesters were on the right, not left as you thought.