Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French medal awarded to an RC padre

headgardener

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone out there could give me some advice regarding a padre who I've been researching. He was awarded the French Medaille de la Reconnaisance, 3rd class (the bronze issue). I gather that it's awarded to civilians for acts of benevolence in helping sick, wounded, their families, displaced persons, and others who were affected by the war. It was instituted in 1917.

The man I'm researching was an RC priest, Father Christopher Stephen Sheehan. He was awarded the MC during the war, and the M de la R in about 1921. He continued serving well after the end of the war, so I have no reference to his papers.

My question is;

Is there any way of finding out why he was granted the French award, and was it for general meritorious service as opposed to one single act? Sorry, that's 2 questions....

A supplementary question;

The medal seems to have been for civilians (I've mostly seen it awarded to Red Cross workers), yet this guy was a commissioned officer. Any thoughts?

Edit; I just realised that I haven't written to the Army Chaplain's Dept yet.....

Hi Headgardener

This is the LG

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/33138/pages/1565

This medal is not only for civilians as seen from the list of recipients.

Try the Army Chaplain's Dept as no citations were printed in the LG for foreign awards.

This is a promotion

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/33008/pages/55

and in case you do not have it his MC

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/298...pplements/11066

Peter

Peter do you happen to have the numbers issued of that award to british winners?. MC

Hi Headgardener & MC

Gold 2

Silver 46

Bronze 76

Peter

Hi Thanks Peter rare to say the least.MC

As you know, I have said before, that all foreign awards are rare compared to most Commonwealth medals. Yet some collectors Brush them aside as if they are rubbish. The old saying "Just a Foreign Gong".

Some of the Aussie recommnedations for foreign awards are as good if not better than DCM's & MM's

Peter

The old saying "Just a Foreign Gong"...

...certainly doesn't apply to you, mate. Thanks very much for your advice. I had no idea that the M de la R was so rare. I wonder why it was gazetted so late (almost 8 years after the armistice).

Chaplain's Dept is the most obvious next port of call, only realised that I hadn't already done it when I posted this thread.

Do you have any idea whether there's any French sources for this? Maybe a French version of the LG (the PG?). Any PG tips, so to speak?

As you know, I have said before, that all foreign awards are rare compared to most Commonwealth medals. Yet some collectors Brush them aside as if they are rubbish. The old saying "Just a Foreign Gong".

Some of the Aussie recommnedations for foreign awards are as good if not better than DCM's & MM's

Peter

To true Peter one thing that has changed in my collecting theme is getting groups with a foreign Dec in it if no foreign gong i am not buying it unless i really have a very special other reason for doing so,

MC

• 2 weeks later...
Fr Sheehan's M.C was reported in the B.M.J in 1916 see British Medical Journal

Hi Audax, Thanks for pointing it out. I had already found it when I'd googled his name prior to starting this thread, but I should have mentioned it here as it surprised me that citations would get mentioned in the BMJ.

I've been using the BMJ for researching Doctors, there's a lot of good info in there.