Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nellie Flay; who did she marry?

high wood

This is Nellie Flay on her wedding day just married to a Canadian soldier called Wilkins. He is wearing the ribbon of the 1914 or 1914/15 star.

I have found two ladies called Nellie Flay on the census index; Nellie Marion Flay, born 1899 and Nellie Rachel Flay born 1897. Could someone please check the marriage index to see which of these two ladies married a man called Wilkins and let me know what his christian names were so that I can look him up on the CEF database?

Thank you.

post-6480-1275763367.jpg

According to FreeBMD, Nellie R. Flay married Edward Wilkins in the Lambeth district in the first quarter of 1918, while Nellie M. Flay married Ernest J. Young in the Edmonton district in 1925.

:poppy:

P.S. there is a birth registration for a Stanley A.E. Wilkins (mother's maiden name Flay) in the Lambeth district in the second quarter of 1920.

Their marriage register entry on Ancestry gives his unit as 3rd Canadian Railway Troops, Shorncliffe Camp. He was 23 and his father was a farmer called William. They married on 23 March 1918 at St Luke's Parish Church, West Norwood.

Adrian

Excellent, thank you both for your help. I bought this last Sunday from a lady who selling stuff from her ex-husband's side of the family. When I asked if she knew who the people in the photograph were, I was told, "Nellie Flay and she lived in Norwood all her life". So it all checks out nicely.

He appears to be 70312 Pte Edward Wilkins who was born at Wimpole, Cambridgeshire on 14th May 1893. His father, William Wilkins, farmed at Glenridge Farm, but I cannot read the exact place as the handwriting is poor.

Edward''s father was born at Arrington Cambridgeshire and mother, Selina born at Orwell. In the 1901 census they were listed as being 35 and 33

repectively and were the parents of 8 children. Their address on the census form is given as Cambridge Road Orwell. Can supply the childrens name

and age if required.

David