Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this badge a crown or a maple leaf

Hltaylor

I've been staring at this badge for a long time now and I can not tell if it is a crown or a maple leaf. The badge in question is below the cap badge. Any thoughts, I think he served in the CEF but i can't confirm it.

post-55772-1275697405.jpg

He may well have been Canadian as the Canadian Engineers had a cap badge like the one shown. They were, and still are, very similar the the British and Australian versions.

Do you have a name or any other details?

Cheers Andy.

Thanks for the reply.

He is my GGrandfather, James Taylor, he was born in London, England in 1874 and moved to Ottawa, Ontario in 1907. I do have one picture with him in uniform with his son with the same cap badge but no badge of rank. As to his service I have nothing but the pictures to prove he was in the war.

CEF soldiers database search for "Taylor" and "James":

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databas...amp;interval=20

There are 188 returns, you can scan the list and check the ones born in 1874. The individual links will lead to a link to their attestation papers which include place of birth. If he served with the CEF, you should find him here.

I've been through all of those returns and he is not there. I need to know what that badge is so that i can narrow the search down to a rank or to a certain army (CEF or BEF).

The Canadian Engineers badge had a beaver instead of the cipher, but that below looks like the standard Canadian G.S. badge.

The Royal Canadian Engineers use the cypher, they were part of the permanent force. The canadian engineers were part of the militia. Thanks for your imput on the badge. I have been starring at it for a long time and my mond is starting to play tricks with me, one day crown another its a maple leaf!

The Royal Canadian Engineers use the cypher, they were part of the permanent force. The canadian engineers were part of the militia. Thanks for your imput on the badge. I have been starring at it for a long time and my mond is starting to play tricks with me, one day crown another its a maple leaf!

Definatly a maple badge other looks like a standard RE Badge

MC

A British Sapper formerly of the Canadian Corps?

It makes sense that he was in the Canadiann army, Both the Royal Engineers and the Royal Canadian Engineers use the same badge, with their respective names on it. thats why i need to know what the lower badge is. and thanks for the replies.

I agree with the remarks that it is likely a Canadian General Service collar badge:

2992111679_ac39345fbd.jpg

cefbadge.gif

It makes sense that he served in the CEF, Now it the mistery is solved, now i have to find him in the records to get his service number. Thanks to eveyone who replied!

It is not the Canadian Engineers badge, the middle of the badge would have more open space at the top and the bottom.