Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South African Artillery

littleorme

Hello,

An ancestors' marriage certificate, dated June 1931, showed his deceased father, George Stockley. as having been a Major in the South African Artillery. The marriage was in the UK. At the moment that's all I know about George.

Does anyone know of an on-line index of officers serving with SA Artillery?

Thanks for any information.

LO

L.O!

You might need to find a link in South African archives.

One way (somewhat long-winded) is that you would have to read six War Diaries to find his name,a Major will definitely appear in the pages,as opposed to Other Ranks who rarely get a mention.

The SA Heavy Artillery operated six Siege Batteries in France and Flanders,71 to 75 and 125. Source is here:

http://www.delvillewood.com/premiereguerre2.htm

Two thirds down the page is the detail.

Sotonmate

. . . . George Stockley, as having been a Major in the South African Artillery. . . .

little

The Heavy Artillery in the GSWA campaign, the South African Heavy Artillery in France and Belgium and the South African Field Artillery in GEA and Palestine were Imperial Service Units raised specially and had no connection to the contemporary Permanent and Citizen Force units. These IS units were disbanded at the end of WW1 and then the (later) South African Artillery was organized as a new Permanent formation with no connection to the IS units.

Most service records exist and are here

Ina Building

Church Street

Pretoria

Telephone: + 27 12 322-6350/9

Facsimile: + 27 12 339-4631

Enquiries: Ms T Schneider (Extension 211)

eMail: sandfdoc@mweb.co.za

The response can be variable and I would suggest a phone call.

The system is unsophisticated and the files are alphabethical under the surname as enlisted.

I would suggest that you contact / use Graham Du Toit and his eMail is gcldt dot udfres at webmail dot co dot za

He is a retired SAAF Colonel and his work is very good.

His fixed telephone is +27 12 662 3596.

Carl

LO

L.O!

You might need to find a link in South African archives.

One way (somewhat long-winded) is that you would have to read six War Diaries to find his name,a Major will definitely appear in the pages,as opposed to Other Ranks who rarely get a mention.

The SA Heavy Artillery operated six Siege Batteries in France and Flanders,71 to 75 and 125. Source is here:

http://www.delvillewood.com/premiereguerre2.htm

Two thirds down the page is the detail.

Sotonmate

Many thanks for info. Sorry for delay in responding.

Clive

little

The Heavy Artillery in the GSWA campaign, the South African Heavy Artillery in France and Belgium and the South African Field Artillery in GEA and Palestine were Imperial Service Units raised specially and had no connection to the contemporary Permanent and Citizen Force units. These IS units were disbanded at the end of WW1 and then the (later) South African Artillery was organized as a new Permanent formation with no connection to the IS units.

Most service records exist and are here

Ina Building

Church Street

Pretoria

Telephone: + 27 12 322-6350/9

Facsimile: + 27 12 339-4631

Enquiries: Ms T Schneider (Extension 211)

eMail: sandfdoc@mweb.co.za

The response can be variable and I would suggest a phone call.

The system is unsophisticated and the files are alphabethical under the surname as enlisted.

I would suggest that you contact / use Graham Du Toit and his eMail is gcldt dot udfres at webmail dot co dot za

He is a retired SAAF Colonel and his work is very good.

His fixed telephone is +27 12 662 3596.

Carl

Hello Carl,

Information much appreciated, and lots to follow up. Been away until today - hence delay in replying.

Don't even know if George Stockley died in service, or was retired. At this stage I'll probably "write" to Pretoria and take it from there.

Clive

. . . . The SA Heavy Artillery operated six Siege Batteries in France and Flanders,71 to 75 and 125. . . .

sotonmate

In SA military history, the official version is often incomplete.

A further four South African Heavy Artillery batteries had been formed to supplement the original six batteries; these later ones being the 496th (SA), 497th (SA) (September 1917), 542nd (SA) (May 1918) Siege Batteries all with 6-inch 26-cwt howitzers). The six original 4-gun South African batteries were later upgraded to 6-gun batteries by incorporating sections from the 496th (SA), 497th (SA) (March 1918) and 542nd (SA) Siege Batteries (May 1918). In October 1918, the 552nd (SA) Siege) Battery with formed with 8-inch howitzers at Lydd but did not see any action.

The 20th Siege Battery RGA (4 8-in howitzers) was allocated to the 44th HAG 13th December 1917 and the 275th Siege Battery RGA (6 8-in howitzers was allocated to the 50th HAG on 21st December 1917. During January 1918 the 44th HAG and the 50th HAG were renamed as the 44th (SA) Brigade and the 50th (S.A.) Brigade and the RGA personnel were gradually replaced by SAHA personnel.

1st Highland (Fife) Heavy Battery and 1st/1st London Heavy Battery were also attached to these SA Brigades for short periods in 1918

Carl

. . . "write" to Pretoria and take it from there.

Clive

My pleasure.

Here is the postal address

Documentation Centre,

Private bag X289,

Pretoria.

Carl

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Carl,

Just had a reply from Pretoria. "...... no records found for George Stockley......".

If that is so, then possibly original info on marriage certificate was inaccurate. Not unheard of, of course. Can't find father or son on census returns up to 1911. If this was an army family then perhaps they were overseas?

Regards

Clive

"...... no records found for George Stockley......".

Clive

He could have been attached to SAA from Royal Artillery or Signals or . . .

I am not sure where else to search - if he died in SA there might be a death notice. I will check.

Carl

Thanks again, Carl. I think I've said that I've not found anything definite in UK records for this family. Trying to find Stockley descendents here.

Regards