Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Horace, Bedfordshire Yeomanry

high wood

This is Horace serving with the Bedfordshire Yeomanry in 1915. I have no other information except that he presumably went overses as he is wearing the TF imperial service badge in the portrait photograph. Needless to say I cannot find a MIC for a soldier called Horace serving in the Bedfordshire Yeomanry. This photograph was in a box of ephemera that contained memorial cards to members of the Busby family from Prestwood and items relating to a families with the surnames George and Embling. They may or may not be connected in some way.

Can anyone identify Horace?

post-6480-1275547240.jpg

post-6480-1275547307.jpg

There are three on Ancestry that I could find. searched through the MIC's

Horace S Shadbolt - Bedfordshire Yeomanry, 1245,30371. 1914-15 Star trio.

Horace W Abbott - Bedford Yeomanry, 2449, 31167. BWM and Vic pair.

Horace E Bailey - Bedford Yeomanry, 1639, 30635. 1914-15 Star trio.

Unfortunately I could not find and Service or Pension records.

Cheers Andy.

Andy

the Pals listed I have had a look on the MICS and there is not CPL the 3 are PTE...

Picture on the left has Cpl strips...

Cheers

Atnomis

SGT Horace Lawrence Essex Yeomanry, Bedford Yeomanry 913, 31263

Judging by the Beds Yeomanry number I'd say Horace Lawrence transferred from the Essex Yeomanry sometime later than 1915. Also, if he was a Sgt in the Essex Yeo, why would he become a Cpl on transferring to The Beds Yeo?

Just because the Horace in your picture has the Imperial Service badge up doesn't mean he went abroad, and if he did go abroad he may not have done it with the Beds Yeomanry. Could also have been commissioned, so his MIC may have no mention of previous non-overseas service with Beds Yeo.

Also remember that his MIC might record him by the initial 'H.' rather than his full name 'Horace'.

You'd need to do a very careful analysis of MIC's relating to people with any of the surnames you mention, and Beds Yeo men with the initial 'H.', before attempting to make the few available facts fit the case.

Nice portrait photo, btw.....

Thank you gentlemen. I have just had another look on the National Archices MIC index and I now know why I could not find anyone called Horace in the Bedfordshire Yeomanry. The men that you have found are listed as being in the Bedford Yeomanry which is technically incorrect. If you search under Bedfordshire Yeomanry 87 medal index cards appear, none of them to a Horace.

The medal index card index for Horace Lawrence seems to indicate L/Cpl. (I have not seen the actual card).

I take the point that the presence of an imperial service badge does not indicate that a man went overseas only that he was prepared to go. Equally, as you mention, he may have gone overseas with a different regiment. As yet I haven't tried to make any of the facts fit the case as I am still looking for the facts.

High wood PM I will send to an e-mail

SGT Horace Lawrence Essex Yeomanry, Bedford Yeomanry 913, 31263

MIC.

It does say SGT on it...

Cheers

Atnomis

As yet I haven't tried to make any of the facts fit the case as I am still looking for the facts.

Sorry! No offence meant. I really didn't mean to imply that you were, I was just (rather clumsily) making a general point.

Good luck with this one. My reading of the Lawrence MIC is that 913 relates to his service in the Essex Yeomany (Likely to be a pre-war number), while 31263 relates to his time in the Beds Yeo (likely to be late 15-early 16, I'd have thought). Considering his rank with the Essex Yeo, I can't imagine he's your man.

Census records reveal that a Horace Wilfred George aged 5 was living in Bedford in 1901. I have found a Horace Wilfred George serving as 6124-533043 in the 15th Battalion (County of London Regiment) Civil Service Rifles before being commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the same regiment. Looking at the same census it is possible that there is a connection with Brixton in South London which is not too far from Wandsworth. As there seems to be a connection between the George and Liddington families, (see my other recent post) I wonder if this is might be our man. If his papers have survived, and he is the right man, they should mention Bedfordshire Yeomanry service.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to confirm that Horace Lawrence, formerly Essex Yeomany, can be safely ruled out.

He went overseas with Essex Yeo in November 1914 as 913 L Cpl. Promoted Farrier Sgt 1 January 1916 and still serving in at least spring 1917 when he was renumbered 80111. His transfer to Bedford Yeo was after the 1917 renumbering of the TF.

Ian

Ian,

thank you for your helpful reply. I am now working on a theory that this chap Horace may be in someway related to either the Liddington's or the Cook's mentioned in another post of mine. The Liddington's had Bedfordshire connections and I believe that Donald Walter Cook also has a tenuous connection. He was a draftsman and I have found circumstantial evidence that he may have worked for the Hewlett and Blondeau aviation company at Leagrave near Luton in 1917 and possibly earlier. None of this of course proves that Horace is a member of any of the families that I have mentioned only that they possibly came from the same source and that there may be a connection.

Simon.