Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What cap badge did the 22 and 24 Bn London Regt wear?

River97

Afternoon all,

I have a question regarding the wearing of the Queens Regt cap badge by the 22nd and 24th Battalions of the London Regiment.

There are two photo's provided as I have seen on various sites that both versions were worn. Can somebody clarify which one they wore, or if they indeed wore both types.

Thanks.

Cheers Andy.

post-41030-1275100230.jpeg

post-41030-1275100240.jpg

I believe one was was a pre war badge, details can be found on the web.

Your left image is a 1908, on the right is a 1916 pattern. One stands on a torse (scroll) the other a patch of grass, one with the flag held on left shoulder with the left foot. The other on the right shoulder with the right foot. Headstones will confuse the issue further with the same differences which indicate post war burials and war time burials.

They wore the one on the left from 1908. The second type was worn post WW1 in line with the Regular regts change of title post 1920. The comment about a '1916' pattern above is incorrect. There was an all brass badge authorised in 1916 but it was of the same design as the 1908 badge. The redesigned lamb and flag on the torse was several years later.

You guy's rock,

Thanks for the info and links. Now I know which ones to get to add to the ever growing display of the London Regiment.

Cheers Andy.

post-20062-1275149839.jpg

Here is a photo of a Queens man showing his cap badge

Nice photo.

Thanks for the info guy's, much appreciated.

Cheers Andy.