Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/5th Battalion: GLS Regiment WWI - R. Furley

Piggy

Does anyone own or have access to "The Story of the 2/5th Battalion: Gloucestershire Regiment, 1914-18" edited by A.F. Barnes?

I am trying to get more information on Pte Richard Furley/240792 and am wondering if maybe the book has photos or any mention of him, other than a record of his death.

I have found details of his medal card and his death on the Somme on 21 March 1918 and burial in Villers Bretonneux Military Cemetary.

I believe him to be my father's cousin and am also trying to get proof of this but his army records appear to be lost - probably destroyed in WWII and I can't find any record of his parents or address.

Any help or suggestions on what else I can do would be much appreciated.

Judi (Australia)

Does anyone own or have access to "The Story of the 2/5th Battalion: Gloucestershire Regiment, 1914-18" edited by A.F. Barnes?

I am trying to get more information on Pte Richard Furley/240792 and am wondering if maybe the book has photos or any mention of him, other than a record of his death.

I have found details of his medal card and his death on the Somme on 21 March 1918 and burial in Villers Bretonneux Military Cemetary.

I believe him to be my father's cousin and am also trying to get proof of this but his army records appear to be lost - probably destroyed in WWII and I can't find any record of his parents or address.

Judi (Australia)

Judi (Australia)

Piggy

Additional details from SDGW (Soldiers Died in the Great War)....

Name: Richard FURLEY

Regiment, Corps etc.: Gloucestershire Regiment

Battalion etc.: 2/5th Battalion (Territorial).

Birthplace: Gloucester

Enlisted: Gloucester

Residence:

Number: 240792

Date died: 21 March 1918

How died: Killed in action

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Regards

Steve

Thanks for your help Ian and Steve.

I'm still hoping to be able to find something that may lead me to confirm who his parents were.

Also do you know if local newspapers at that time printed lists of casualties.

My apologies for the repetition in my first post.

Judi

Judi

The book you mentioned has a fairly detailed narrative about the events of 21st-31st March, 1918, & beyond, but no mention of individual men in the ranks. The 'Gloucester Journal' & 'Gloucester Citizen' were the local newspapers of the time, listing casualties (& a small selection of photos). There was also a publication called the 'Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic' which has many individual photos of wounded & dead servicemen from the Gloucester area.

Nick

Judi

You could also try the 1911 Census (online). There is one Richard Furley listed in Gloucester (born 1895). This is probably your man & will tell you who his parents were. Failing that, order a copy of his birth certificate from the General Records Office (also online). This will also reveal his parents' names, & where they were living at the time.

Nick

• 4 weeks later...
Judi

You could also try the 1911 Census (online). There is one Richard Furley listed in Gloucester (born 1895). This is probably your man & will tell you who his parents were. Failing that, order a copy of his birth certificate from the General Records Office (also online). This will also reveal his parents' names, & where they were living at the time.

Nick

Thanks, Nick.

Yes, I am almost sure that the Richard in the 1911 census and the one who died on 21st March 1918 is the same person but I was trying to prove it by finding the address or next of kin of the soldier.

Think I will have to leave it as an "almost certain conclusion".

Judi

Judi

The book you mentioned has a fairly detailed narrative about the events of 21st-31st March, 1918, & beyond, but no mention of individual men in the ranks. The 'Gloucester Journal' & 'Gloucester Citizen' were the local newspapers of the time, listing casualties (& a small selection of photos). There was also a publication called the 'Cheltenham Chronicle & Gloucestershire Graphic' which has many individual photos of wounded & dead servicemen from the Gloucester area.

Nick

Thanks, Nick.

I will see if I can find someone who can follow up on the newspapers for me as I am not in the U.K.

Judi