Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

shorncliffe camp folkestone

tony paley

I have seen previous posts re Shorncliffe Camp and Folkestone and I know that there are some pals with good local knowledge. I hope to visit the area in three weeks and would be very grateful for information about the Camp. My grandfather was stationed in the area just prior to leaving for France in January 1917. I would like to know whether any of the 1914-18 buildings still exist within the present camp. By coincidence my Father, also a Gunner, was stationed at Shorncliffe from 1932 - 39. I have some photographs of the parade ground and the buildings appear to be late 19th century. I have had a look on google earth and noticed that the Military Cemetery is along Hospital Lane, would this have been the location of the Military hospital that existed during WW1, I think it was known as St.Helena Hospital. Not strictly WW1 but I was born there in 1939 and left a few weeks later when Dad was posted away. I have not been back since and hoped to include some personal nostalga into my visit, which is following a trip to Ypres. I do realise the barracks is still in use, my grandson attended a short course there a couple of years ago. Thanks in anticipation.

Tony P

I would say that Napier Barracks in North Road are Victorian/Edwardian era and similar to many of the infantry barracks in Aldershot that were demolished in the 1960s.

Somerset Barracks (remains of) further east along North Road are of the same era.

There are several buildings within Risborough Barracks in Pond Hill Road of a similar vintage, although the accomodation blocks have the appearance of Sandhurst blocks (c1930s).

The RASC Lines on the west side of Pond Hill Road are possibly updated buildings of a Victorian/Edwardian vintage.

Ross Barracks (Military Road/Ross Way) seems to have been incorporated into an industrial estate, but had already been rebuilt as Sandhurst blocks.

Burgoyne Barracks in West Road (now a Defence Estates site) are predominantly Edwardian/Victorian.

Sir John Moore Barracks are new build.

There are probably various other military buildings dotted around the camp that would have been around in WW1.

So then, much remains.

BTW, I think that there were two Military hospitals during WW1. The Shorncliffe Military Hospital and the Moore Barracks Hospital (the barracks were temporarily converted as a Canadian Military Hospital)

I believe that there was also a tented hospital in St Martin's Plain Camp during WW1.

The huts still on the main camp are pretty ancient and may themselves be refurbished WW1.

Thanks for that Glengarry, The photographs I have include buildings almost identical to those at Aldershot,particularly the one containing the Museum of Aldershot Camp so it seems my visit may be worthwhile.

Tony P

• 12 years later...

Does anyone know anything about the Labour Concentration Camp aka Cherry Garden Camp or the Labour camp which existed at Shorncliffe for the use of "Chinese, Kaffirs, West Indians and Fijians, and Canadians". It was a tent camp, first erected in early 1917. I am trying to find out whether the Fiji Labour Corps ever actually were there. If they were, it would have been in late June, early July 1917, as they landed in Boulogne on 6 July 1917.