Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The German army in Belgium

Skipman

Shock, horror. The Germans invaded Belgium and, how awful, the Belgians started shooting at them.

Gosh, the priest was unfriendly. What on earth does this naive Lieutenant mean by 'no official stamp'. Well, I do know; your average, German, Frenchman or Belgian still worships a rubber stamp. but who on earth would put a rubber stamp on an armband? Would the officer have recognised it, anyway, or was it more probably a case of just wanting to see a stamp of any sort - andbelieve me, that goes on still i many administrations.

It sounds to me like the German equivalent of the British officer who (before the Marne) was told to defend some farmhouse. His superior pointed out that they were not defending one wall, and the officer replied, 'they won't come that way, that's private property'.

Gosh, the priest was unfriendly. What on earth does this naive Lieutenant mean by 'no official stamp'. Well, I do know; your average, German, Frenchman or Belgian still worships a rubber stamp. but who on earth would put a rubber stamp on an armband? Would the officer have recognised it, anyway, or was it more probably a case of just wanting to see a stamp of any sort - andbelieve me, that goes on still i many administrations.

Geneva Convention 1906, see Article 20 - http://www.archive.org/stream/genevaconven...age/n3/mode/2up