Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bairnsfather

Skipman

Mike,

Years ago I went to a Jumble Sale, in Dyce,and bought a Bairnsfather "Old Bill" original Book for a few coppers.

During one of my many visits home,whilst working south of the Border,my late Mother asked if she could get rid of my Books to which I agreed.

Bairnsfather went west,but the Biggles Books,I bought or were bought for me survive,plus the fly leaf of an old Family Bible,which allows me now and the studious, entry into typical Family History,in the 19th Century,with the effect, in the early 20th Century.

Mother's are grand but they don't necessarily see what their offspring will covet many years in the future i.e Bairnsfather but they do keep the important things e.g.Broons and Wullie Albums. :lol:

George

In late 1970's , an old army friend of mine was on exercise in Norway.He was given a night off at some stage during the proceedings and went for a drink at at large, rambling, family run hotel. He got lost in the bowels of the building whilst looking for the toilets. It was his lucky day as during the foray, he came across a large framed and signed drawing of Old Bill hanging on the wall. Returning to the bar he quietly questioned the owner about it. It had apparently been in the family for as long as he could remember, but knew nothing about it or the subject matter. My friend offered the man two bottles of duty free whiskey for it, which was accepted with alacrity! Bairnsfather apparently toured Europe in the immediate post-war years and occasionally paid a few bills with a few Old Bill's, if you will excuse the pun.

The moral of this story is, I suppose, that when looking for latrines, don't be too quick to turn your nose up at the graffiti.

TR