Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Highland Tunics

Frank Burke

Hello,

For the longest time I've been trying to find a not-too-expensive P-1902 British cut-away tunic as worn by the highland regiments. The only one I have found is at What Price Glory. This looks pretty nice, but the price is USD 165. My question: are there other militaria dealers out there who sell reproductions of this item? Does such a thing ever show up on E-bay?

I'm hoping to reduce costs in putting together my Gordon highlanders kit. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Frank

Hello,

For the longest time I've been trying to find a not-too-expensive P-1902 British cut-away tunic as worn by the highland regiments. The only one I have found is at What Price Glory. This looks pretty nice, but the price is USD 165. My question: are there other militaria dealers out there who sell reproductions of this item? Does such a thing ever show up on E-bay?

I'm hoping to reduce costs in putting together my Gordon highlanders kit. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Frank

Hi Frank

The WPG tunics look good to me - but I am not an expert. I bought one of their 1902 Service Dress Jackets (non cutaway) to complete my Gordons mannequin when I gave up on the idea of ever finding an original I could afford. The reason I chose the non cutaway version is that a large proportion of the wartime pictures of Gordons I have (including most importantly from my point of view, my relative) has them in this jacket rather than the cutaway version. I believe I am correct in saying a cutaway version was not actually manufactured until the 1922 pattern jacket and prior to this they were tailored from normal SD jackets at the unit level. Which you use will probably depend upon which period you are seeking to portray 1914/15 perhaps cutaway whereas 1916-17-18 perhaps unaltered.

One alternative to a repro might be a P1922 jacket - these do show up on Ebay and will appear very very similar to the original to anyone but an expert counting collar darts and examining the lining. They tend to be a bit cheaper than the repros (assuming they are not sold as 1902s!) but also tend to be smaller in size.

Here are two examples for you of Gordons in non cutaway jackets and individual with p14 leather equipment and a group in camp all in standard SD

post-14525-1274807185.jpg

post-14525-1274807193.jpg

Best,

Chris

Biased I know, but my reenactment group leader does them (he even does a cut-away version of the Simplified jacket if wanted):

http://www.milweb.net/dealers/trader/khaki...paign/index.htm