Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

lance-sergeant vs sergeant uniform differences

Muerrisch

This will only apply to infantry units on hot-weather stations, and not in 'combat' situations.

Glancing through my old albums of battalion souvenir photos, I was reminded of a practice that seemed not uncommon in India when wearing KD frocks/ jackets.

Whereas the old peace-time army had scarlet sashes for full sergeants and above in full dress [be it Home Tunic or overseas best scarlet frock], and whereas instances of lance-sergeants wearing the sash are few and far between, some units appear to have found another way of 'telling the difference'.

This comprised chevrons being made up as scarlet* on white in ones, two and threes, and worn by LCpls, Cpls and LSgts, and made up of white on dark in threes and fours and worn by full sergeants, CSgts and QMS.

I say scarlet* because some regimental records show these.

I am looking at 2nd RWF India c. 1908, and 1st Cheshires c. 1902 as I write.

Can any one shed more light on this practice, please?

Certainly in the RA the distinguishing feature was the gun above the chevrons, no gun = L/Sgt, Gun = Full Sgts.

Thank you, very true, but I think RA only intro. LSgt 1920 when the Bombardier/Corporal complication was sorted out? Abolished 1946? Not an RA expert by any means.

A L/sgt was a corporal who was "acting" in the rank of Sergeant. I'm sure only Her Majesty's Foot Guards are the only regiments still to employ L/Sgts. As to telling the difference, L/Sgts had white chevrons, and full Sergeants gold chevrons, if my ageing mind recalls. Hope this is of help?

To go off topic, did the Light Infantry Regiments employ Serjeants? I have a niggling suspicion of seeing this once many moons ago, could be wrong or it may have been a spelling mistake.

KRRC had Colour Serjeants but no Colours IIRC.

Since 1946 only Foot Guards appoint corporals to be LSgts, however, more recently the Household Cavalry have invented an equivalent, the Lance Corporal of Horse.

Both wear three chevrons.

As to serjeant vs sergeant, the old spelling up to and including Great War was 'j', but this has morphed into 'g' except for some usages such as serjeant-at-arms.

Not that this helps me at all!

From "The" book - Introduced into the Royal Artillery in May 1920 at the same time as the rank of Corporal was abolished within the Regiment. Falling in the rank structure between Bombardier and Sergeant, the Lance Sergeant was identified by wearing three stripes, whereas full Sergeants wore three stripes with a gun above the stripes. The rank was itself abolished in 1946. On promotion from Lance Sergeant to full sergeant the holder was said to have "got his gun".

Phil