Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Frank Mercer Bentley 3/5th LF

Mark Hone

While searching the 'net for something else I came across a page on a medal dealer's website about the MC for his officer which he had for sale. Frank Bentley was an old boy of Bury Grammar School (and Rossall) who won the MC for his conduct during 66th Division's attack on 9th October 1917. Despite an early wound, he led a patrol into Psschendaele village, a month before its eventual capture by the Canadians. He was killed just before the end of the war a year later. The medal was marked 'sold' but I have no idea how long ago that was. I'm not trying to acquire the medal but the dealer's blub implied that it was accompanied by lots of useful supporting documentation. It wasn't entirely clear whether this related to Frank Bentley personally. As I have been researching the school's roll of honour for several years, and have a particular interest in this officer having led battlefield walks of the 9th October attack and visited his grave near Le Cateau on several occasions, I would be intrigued to know if anyone has further details.

LG -

3 August 1917 - http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/302...upplements/8009

2nd Lt. (temp. Capt.) F. M. Bentley to be Lt. (temp.1 Capt.), with precedence as from 1st June 1916. 5th Aug. 1917.

Lt. (temp. Capt.) F. M. Bentley relinquishes temp, rank of Capt. 5th Aug. 1917.

11 September 1917 - http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/302...upplements/9453

Lancashire Fus.—The undermentioned to be actg. Capts. whilst comdg. Cos: — Lt. F. M. Bentley 5th Aug. 1917.

6 November 1917 - http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/303...pplements/11545

Lancashire Fus. — Lt. (actg. Capt.) (additional) F. M. Bentley to be actg. Capt. whilst comdg. a Co. 26th Aug. 1917.

1911:

BENTLEY, Mary Ellen Head Widow born 1856 Oldham Lanc

BENTLEY, Frank Mercer Son Single Newspaper Proprietor born 1882 Bury Lanc

BENTLEY, Edith Mary Daughter Single born 1884 Bury Lanc

BENTLEY, Margery Alice Daughter Single 6 born 1885 Bury Lanc

BENTLEY, Helen Mercer Daughter Single born 1886 Bury Lanc

BENTLEY, Horace Mercer Son Single Newspaper Proprietor born 1888 Bury Lanc

Living at 125 Walmersley Road Bury Lancashire

The CWGC entry threw me a bit - "Son of Mr & Mrs A F Bentley" - Father was Ashton F (1881 census), a railway contractor

Grant

Mark,

This is not much help but those medals used to be in my collection and there was large amount of research on Frank Mercer Bentley, including local newspaper cuttings etc. I sold the medals sometime ago and afraid I didn't keep copies of anything but if you can track the new owner down there may be something of interest. I did see the medals on the dealers web site myself - when I sold them they also included his memorial plaque but looks as if that has got seperated at some point, which is a shame.

Simon

Mark,

This is not much help but those medals used to be in my collection and there was large amount of research on Frank Mercer Bentley, including local newspaper cuttings etc. I sold the medals sometime ago and afraid I didn't keep copies of anything but if you can track the new owner down there may be something of interest. I did see the medals on the dealers web site myself - when I sold them they also included his memorial plaque but looks as if that has got seperated at some point, which is a shame.

Simon

What were the medals in the group?

MC...

Simon-Thanks. a shame I didn't know about that earlier, as I have also done quite a bit of reserach on Bentley, and in particular the action on 9th October 1917 in which he won the MC. You may be aware that the body of a Lancashire Fusilier, almost certainly from his battalion, 3/5th, was discovered along the disused railway track near Tyne Cot Cemetery and reburied there with full military honours a couple of years ago.

Sorry for the delay in replying,

He had the MC & pair, the memorial plaque had a slight mis-spelling of his second name which may explain why it was seperated - the Plaque had Frank MEICEI Bentley instead of Mercer but I am sure it was the right man as there is no one else with the spelling as per the plaque on CWGC and too much of an unusual name to be a coincidence.

I am trying to remember where he was from, I think Bury ? But I know there were a couple of local newspaper articles wth the group that you might be able to get copies of, one from when he won the MC and one from when he died, I think in the 70's - I seem to recall that he had worked for the newspaper at some time.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Simon

Simon, thanks for your reply. Yes-he was from Bury. As I mention earlier he was an old boy of Bury Grammar School (where I am Head of History) and Rossall. I have done quite a lot of research on him through local newspapers etc He was a newspaperman as you recall, actually co-owner of the local 'Bury Times', still in existence. I was wondering if there was any further info on him, which I hadn't tracked down, included with the medals. I shall see if I can track down the articles from the 1970s. These may of course be largely based on the original obits which I have.

• 2 weeks later...

Mark,

Just seen that his medals are being sold at DNW's next auction on July 7th/8th - have a look at www.dnw.co.uk

They might be able to provide some more details.

Regards. Simon