Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Sidney John Trevelyan

Cornwall

I wonder if one of you kind experts could please help me.

I know that my great uncle Sidney John Trevelyan (service no 295592) died on 5/11/17 flighting the Turks at Beersheba. I have found some records for him but nothing of any real use. I know he had emigrated to Canada but came back to do his bit and sadly was killed aged 26. Would love to know where he joined up and where he was prior to his final battle.

Thanks to the War Graves Commission I know where he is buried and would love to visit the area one day.

Many thanks

Oppy

Hi oppy,

here's his details from SDGW

post-15439-1274548955.jpg

note the date and service number, his MIC records his 6 digit service number as 295502. The 12th Bn were part of the 74th (Yeomanry) Division and at the time of Sidneys' death the division was involved with 'The Third Battle of Gaza (27 October - 7 November 1917, including the Capture of Beersheba on 31 October and the capture of the Sheria Position on 6 November)' LLT.

jonny

Think this is him in 1911:

TREVELYAN, Martha Mother Widow Farmer born 1848 Somerset Wellington

TREVELYAN, Edward Son Single House Painter born 1885 Somerset Sampford Arundell

TREVELYAN, Sidney Son Single Working On Farm born 1892 Somerset Sampford Arundell

Living at Coombe Farm Wrangway Wellington

Cant see him on any passenger lists

Grant

MIC on TNA - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=2 - downloadable for £2

Medal card of Trevelyan, Sidney J

Corps Regiment No Rank

West Somerset Yeomanry 1913 Private

Somerset Light Infantry 295502 Private

CWGC also has the # as 595502

Grant

1913 for the West Somerset Yeomanry dates to late October or early November 1915, so that's when he joined up.

Many thanks to you all for your replies. I can now get on with the research and let other members of my family know the info

Kind regards

Oppy

Guest robert.trevelyan@sky.com
Many thanks to you all for your replies. I can now get on with the research and let other members of my family know the info

Kind regards

Oppy

Hi Oppy

Sidney is also my great Uncle and I have a photo of him in uniform if you are interested, would love to share more family details.

Regards

Robert

Dear Robert

I tried to send you a private note but the site would not let me.

We spoke on the phone some years ago. I had just returned from Somerset on a fact finding trip regarding the family.

My grandfather was Francis Trevelyan who left Somerset for Sutton Coldfield in about 1900. I was very sad my branch did not know about Sidney until I found his name on the side of his parent's grave. I would love a photo of him, I have nothing. Do you have any other family photos? My branch of the family is so large, Francis had nine children and I have never seen any of the Somerest relatives except I do have a good photo of Loveday.

Perhaps you could send me a personal note and we can swop info.

Lovely to make contact again

Robert is going to need to post some more before he can send or recieve private messages, used to be 10 posts

Grant

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Robert

I was hoping to hear back from you. Perhaps you have been away on holiday or very busy at work. I would be very grateful to receive the photo of great-uncle Sidney if possible.

Best wishes

Oppy

• 2 weeks later...

Oppy

Robert can't use the PM system until he has more post up (5 I think nowadays)

Your only other way is to put up your email here but obviously using DOT and AT to prevent it being reaped or whatever it is these people do to obtain emails for spamming. Once you have then made contact you can revisit your post and delete the email if you so wish.

Hope you make the contact with him.

Hywyn