Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map Reference

Tom Morgan

Can anyone tell me which place the following map-reference refers to?

Sheet 28.D28.B.05

This is exactly how it was written and I think it may be a map-reference which has been written slightly wrongly but I can't be sure. I think I know where it is, but I would like to ask where others think the location is, without putting ideas into people's heads! Perhaps those with better knowledge of maps might see an error and be able to interpret it.

Tom

Tom,

It must refer to the No.28 series of trench maps in and around the Ypres area. But there are of course many No.28 sheets - we need the second part; 28NW2, 28SE4 etc.

I think I have it, sheet 28NE1 section D, square 28, subsquare B, map ref 0, 5 - just south of Zonnebeke

X marks the spot.

post-4-1085672382.jpg

Tom,

Yes it is not written correctly. Sheet 28, square D 28 puts you in Zonnebeke and just east and south of it. the next letter should be a,b, c or d (lower case). the next bit, the numbers, is location within that a b c or d square. if it is 05 it probably means 0.5, which is 0 to the east and 5 to the north, which puts you close to/just west of Retaliation Farm. If this makes sense I'll scan/post the relevant bit of map. Hope it helps. Peter .

Giles, You may well be correct, not sure if 8 should be d, just shows how some troops ended up in wrong place when map ref not given correctly, eh? Peter.

Don't take this the wrong way but I never understand why people don't always look at the first follow on posts from the original question! ;)

Sorry, rant over. :)

Retaliation farm is in sub-square d not b as the reference gives. This b should as noted above be a lower case b not upper case B as Tom originally noted. X marks the spot on the map I posted above.

Thanks for your help, everyone. The explanations about how you have interpreted the mistake has been very informative.

I was HOPING that the spot referred to would turn out to be just to the East of the lake in the grounds of Zonnebeke Chateau, and "X" does indeed mark the spot in Giles's map. This was excellent news for me.

Now, just to narrow things down a little, I have one more question - Giles, Malcolm or mebu, what are the actual on-the-ground measurements of one side of a square such as Subsquare b? Am I right in thinking that it's 250 yards?

(Malcolm - thescanner is no better. I think I'm going to have to change it.)

Tom

what are the actual on-the-ground measurements of one side of a square such as Subsquare b? Am I right in thinking that it's 250 yards?

Tom,

Could it be 500 yards (approx. 450 meters) ?

(Well that's what I have always thought...)

Aurel

Tom,

As Aurel says the side of a subsquare (the smallest square division of a trench map) is 500 yds. This is then given the final map reference (in your case 0,5) so that it is further split into 50 yard divisions. So x on the map above is 0 yards across and 250 yards up within square b (the 'NE' subsquare).

These 50 yard divisions can be seen as small lines to the top and right of the outline of the block of 4 subsquares on the map I posted above.

Phew, hope that makes sense :blink:

Tom,

This is the text that appears at the base of all trench maps - this is a poor digi pic from 28NW (1-20 000) I have handy on my desk.

post-4-1085689742.jpg

Don't take this the wrong way but I never understand why people don't always look at the first follow on posts from the original question! ;)

Sorry, rant over. :)

Retaliation farm is in sub-square d not b as the reference gives. This b should as noted above be a lower case b not upper case B as Tom originally noted. X marks the spot on the map I posted above.

I did but posted the whole square without other info so Tom could map read it himself.

Aye

Malcolm