Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Drummer's Insignia

MelPack

Could some kind soul post a jpeg of of a Drummer's insignia and answer a couple of questions?

How many ORs would be designated as a Drummer in a pre-war regular battalion?

If a Drummer was appointed as a Lance Corporal or higher rank, would they retain their Drummer's insignia on their uniform?

If someone was designated as a Drummer whilst serving with the Colours would they retain the insignia on their uniform as a reservist?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mel

Hello Caryl

Many thanks for posting the link to the previous thread - a very nice photo of your great uncle there.

From what I can glean from the thread, it would appear that were up to 15 drummers per battalion and the brass rather than the worsted insignia tended to be worn on service uniform.

Otherwise, the rest of the information is rather at a tangent to the questions that I have posed.

Mel

Could some kind soul post a jpeg of of a Drummer's insignia and answer a couple of questions?

How many ORs would be designated as a Drummer in a pre-war regular battalion?

If a Drummer was appointed as a Lance Corporal or higher rank, would they retain their Drummer's insignia on their uniform?

If someone was designated as a Drummer whilst serving with the Colours would they retain the insignia on their uniform as a reservist?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mel

A regular battalion had 4 drummers per company, total 16, plus a sergeant drummer.

Every drummer trained to use [and carry] bugle, and to use one of a variety of woodwinds ["fifes" generically]. All 17 badged as drummers, and when paraded as a Corps of drums the men not carrying a drum would carry "fife" and bugle.

Drummers eligible for promotion as drummers, or normal promotion on reversion to the ranks. Drum badge worn above ranking.

Quite usual to have supenumary men under training and some Corps of drums paraded best part of 30 men on a big occasion. 2nd RWF owned and used 12 silver drums and a silver bass, all made in India.

Reservists, until recalled to the colours, never saw their uniform from one year to the next. Since 'Drummer' was an appointment, and since the establishment of drummers needed to be maintained at 17, a man going to the reserve would lose his appointment, but not his rank. Therefore a corporal drummer would, on recall, remain a corporal but not automatically become a drummer. A lance-rank was an appointment, so a drummer lance-corporal would lose both on going to the reserve, and not retain them on recall.

Lastly, a CO would always have an eye to the succession of senior drummers, so would be wise to have a lance-sergeant and a corporal and a lance-corporal within the drums.

Hello Grumpy

Many thanks for the detailed and informative explanation. Much appreciated.

Mel

• 1 year later...

Hello Grumpy,

I have a query regarding the WW1 Drummers (Corps of Drums), and the Buglers. In the 1st (S) Bn, R. Guernsey L.I.unit, I can confirm that the 16 appointed "Drummers" in part II daily orders for Prof. Pay, however they are then refered too as "Bug" or Buglers and appear to wear the Bugle (silver badge) on the upper right arm.

The question is when would they wear a Drum Prof. Badge vs. a Bugle Prof. Badge? is it a case of the Infantry wearing the Drum and the L.I. wearing the Bugle? I only seam to be able to find the L.I. wearing the Bugle badge, this this the case, that they will not wear the Drum Prof Badge?

I also have the Sergeant-Drummer appointed, but no photo, so total of 17.

Mark. (1rgli)

Hello Grumpy,

I have a query regarding the WW1 Drummers (Corps of Drums), and the Buglers. In the 1st (S) Bn, R. Guernsey L.I.unit, I can confirm that the 16 appointed "Drummers" in part II daily orders for Prof. Pay, however they are then refered too as "Bug" or Buglers and appear to wear the Bugle (silver badge) on the upper right arm.

The question is when would they wear a Drum Prof. Badge vs. a Bugle Prof. Badge? is it a case of the Infantry wearing the Drum and the L.I. wearing the Bugle? I only seam to be able to find the L.I. wearing the Bugle badge, this this the case, that they will not wear the Drum Prof Badge?

I also have the Sergeant-Drummer appointed, but no photo, so total of 17.

Mark. (1rgli)

I don't think Grumpy will mind me answering this Mark. You surmised correctly that in Light Infantry regiments the badge was a bugle and the drum badge was not worn. Incidentally, this was the same for Rifle Regiments too. In some regiments a doubled (half overlaid) bugle badge was worn.