Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

what regiment is this cap badge

madgarry

• Admin

I'm wanting to say Duke of Wellingtons but something doesn't seem quite right.

Michelle

It's the 7th (Princess Royal's) Dragoon Guards.

It's the 7th (Princess Royal's) Dragoon Guards.

Thanks for that,where were they from,I assume thats a ww1 pic or before the war, apparently this is a pic of my great great uncle William Henry Phillips who is at St Sever cemetery Rouen France,the only problem with that is that he was 9th Battalion Gloucestershire regiment,unless that a territorial unit from before the war..

Thanks for that,where were they from,I assume thats a ww1 pic or before the war, apparently this is a pic of my great great uncle William Henry Phillips who is at St Sever cemetery Rouen France,the only problem with that is that he was 9th Battalion Gloucestershire regiment,unless that a territorial unit from before the war..

Lanyard on the right shoulder - unless a battalion or regimental affectation (I know little about Dragoon Guards!) - usually indicates POST WWI.

Given the cap he is wearing it is almost certainly not a pre-war picture.

Chris

Lanyard on the right shoulder - unless a battalion or regimental affectation (I know little about Dragoon Guards!) - usually indicates POST WWI.

Given the cap he is wearing it is almost certainly not a pre-war picture.

Chris

Cant be my great great uncle then as he died 3/11/18.... So we are stuck on who it could be

Cant be my great great uncle then as he died 3/11/18.... So we are stuck on who it could be

Have you looked at your great great uncle's MIC (Medal Index Card) - just to see if any previous regimental affiliations are given?

My lanyard observation was suggestive I wouldn't take it as gospel, I am far more certain that this is not a pre war picture based on the cap however.

The other thing - The CWGC database would appear to have him as just H Phillips

Name: PHILLIPS

Initials: H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Gloucestershire Regiment

Unit Text: 9th Bn.

Date of Death: 03/11/1918

Service No: 12640

Additional information: Son of Augusta Phillips, of 68, Bridgnorth Rd., Wollaston, Stourbridge, and the late John Phillips. Born at Greyfield, Kinver, Stourbridge.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: S. II. P. 23.

Cemetery: ST. SEVER CEMETERY EXTENSION, ROUEN

Definately 7th Dragoon Guards. The regt merged in 1920 with the 4th DG to form the 4/7th. The regt adopted a differnt badge circa 1930 so it could be post war. the cap looks WW1 rather than post war circa 1916 with that peak.

I see he is also wearing some sort of Divisional battle patch, on his shoulder. This is usually a good indicator of it being WW1 vintage.

Regards,

Stewart

Have you looked at your great great uncle's MIC (Medal Index Card) - just to see if any previous regimental affiliations are given?

My lanyard observation was suggestive I wouldn't take it as gospel, I am far more certain that this is not a pre war picture based on the cap however.

The other thing - The CWGC database would appear to have him as just H Phillips

Name: PHILLIPS

Initials: H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Gloucestershire Regiment

Unit Text: 9th Bn.

Date of Death: 03/11/1918

Service No: 12640

Additional information: Son of Augusta Phillips, of 68, Bridgnorth Rd., Wollaston, Stourbridge, and the late John Phillips. Born at Greyfield, Kinver, Stourbridge.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: S. II. P. 23.

Cemetery: ST. SEVER CEMETERY EXTENSION, ROUEN

yes mate,thnx anyway,he dropped his first name for some reason,his medal index card is just gloucesters

I see he is also wearing some sort of Divisional battle patch, on his shoulder. This is usually a good indicator of it being WW1 vintage.

Regards,

Stewart

cheers

where could I find a list of names of all those who served with this unit in ww1,those who lived and those who died

Hello,

There would not be a list as such, however what you can do is type his regiment into the search box on the Medal Index Card database on the NA website. This will give you as near a complete list as it is likely you are going to get. Here is a link to the website. The results will show most of those men who served overseas with the regiment and received service medals and decorations.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...amp;queryType=1

If you are a subscriber to ancestry, then you can see images of the original cards.

Regards,

Stewart

I agree with Michelle, something not quite right. Are you sure this is not a photo of his wife/girl friend.

Alan

I agree with Michelle, something not quite right. Are you sure this is not a photo of his wife/girl friend.

Alan

As he wasnt married ide say not

It's a woman. loose sleeves , loose coller, a bit of a bust. Hair tucked in cap. Women dressing up in uniform was not uncommon in the great war. Tom

It's a woman. loose sleeves , loose coller, a bit of a bust. Hair tucked in cap. Women dressing up in uniform was not uncommon in the great war. Tom
ime not convinced its a woman,dont forget for the common soldier your uniform wasnt a tailored fit and you got what you got.

Yes your right about the uniforms in the great war.But another thing that stands out is his/her slim neck.The more i look the more i see a women.Tom

mmm.. dressing your wife up as a 7th Dragoon, now that is a bit too kinky for me........

Royal Horse Guards, though ... that shiny breats plate. :rolleyes:

Seriously, though, I don't think it's female. A very poor-fitting jacket, I'd say

ive found out who he is, John(Jack) Warwick my gg uncles wifes brother,all I need now is to find his military info/records

Check he wasn't in the Women's Army Corps.

He looks to have a haunted look to me. Perhaps things he had seen/been through. Might even account for weight loss. Very easy though to 'see' things in a snapshot of time. Regards,Paul.

Garry,

What evidence do you have that the photo is of John(Jack) Warwick?

Alan

Garry,

What evidence do you have that the photo is of John(Jack) Warwick?

Alan

From the daughter in law of John(Jack) Warwicks sister,his sister was my great great Aunt

He looks to have a haunted look to me. Perhaps things he had seen/been through. Might even account for weight loss. Very easy though to 'see' things in a snapshot of time. Regards,Paul.
He looks a bit shocked,like hes seen some horrors