Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

? Know a good restaurant in Arras ?

salientguide

The Birmingham Branch WFA will be out, staying at Arras, for a weekend trip in October. Anyone know a good restaurant in or near the main squares which could do a decent group dinner for 25? Gastronomic replies welcomed. many thanks SG

La Petit Rat Porteur is nice but have't got a clue whether they can take that type of booking.

00 33 3 21 51 29 70

SG

There are loads around the square close to the Gare.

Don't know their names though.

Good food at the Bistrot du Boucher on boulevard de Strasbourg, near to all the squares and station. They have a back room which I have seen groups use - I think around 20 to 25. Tel 03 21 51 34 83. We go there for a treat! :D

Jim

Great restaurant near the Ibis hotel can`t remember it`s name but its in the square. Always doing offers on steaks and ribs value for money, just shop about.

Phil

I personnaly am an "Arrageois" and I agree with all those places.

Just avoid "La clé des champs" very expensive, not much in the plate, and not that good after all.

Near the Theater (5 minutes by foot from the square) is "Le petit Théâtre", it's a pizzeria, but they definetly can fit 25 person and give you a whole room upstairs if you reserve let's say a week earlier.

Great restaurant near the Ibis hotel can`t remember it`s name but its in the square. Always doing offers on steaks and ribs value for money, just shop about.

Phil

Is it "Le Saint Germain"?

Thibault

Teebo that does sound rather familar mate.

Tried to google map it using street view but no luck as yet.

Phil

Another one who cannot remember the name, but directly opposite the railway station, has steel tables and chairs outside and directly across the road from the hotel we stayed in last year, absolutely smashing meals served up to our group, tables arranged to suit. Ralph.

Another one who cannot remember the name, but directly opposite the railway station, has steel tables and chairs outside and directly across the road from the hotel we stayed in last year, absolutely smashing meals served up to our group, tables arranged to suit. Ralph.

You are surely talking about le "Quai 8"

Teebo that does sound rather familar mate.

Tried to google map it using street view but no luck as yet.

Phil

Well, Street view doesn't seem to work on the squares....

http://maps.google.fr/maps?f=q&source=....00284&z=19

It's funny, the main square picture in Google maps is in "Main Square Festival" configuration, which is not gonna be on the main square this year, but in the citadelle!

There's also the "Mamounia", a very nice arabic restaurant. Might be expensive, The crew is very nice, the plates are full, and for sure the best couscous in northern France! (well, that's really subjective...). You might want to give a phone call to know they would accept 25 guests!

For those who are interessted, the city plans to welcome a chef with a Michelin star pretty soon, I don't have much info about who or what, but that's an info that i had from a very well informed man

Teebo, do not recall the name.The hotel we stayed in was the MODERNE and the bar/restaurant is to the left of the front door when facing the station. Hope this makes sense. :innocent:

Ah, ok, it's le "Passe Temps" then. never been there, but always had a good feedback.

The message coming through loud and clear is that Arras is a great place to eat - and that Teebo is a very lucky fellow !

The Saturday food market is a marvel too.

Thanks pals thats really helpful. Plan to send scouting parties out to a few locations the first night, it all helps to target them!! Any others? Cheers SG

I would also endorse:

Les Grandes Arcades

La Rapiere

and the one next door to La Rapiere (is that the Venezia?)

And I agree with the negative comments on the Cle des Champs!

I have also eaten at La Coupole, quite near the station; old-style plushy comfort, they are very much into flambee dishes.

Angela

Thanks Angela will send some spies out to those too SG

I had a tremendous cassoulet at Les Grandes Arcades--too much food for my spouse and I and great value. (2007)

cheers,

peter

• Admin

Thanks from me for the recommendations, Wayne and I will be in Arras for a few days in July and are planning to meet up with Andrew P for a few beers and a meal, so the heads up for these restaurants is timely!

Michelle

For those going out in the mean time, have a great trip--and please report back Ta SG

The slightly posh looking one directly opposite the station which I think is referred to in one of the earlier posts is excellent. Unfortunately, as I only visit it every few years I can never remember its name. Not being much use, am I!

A Michelin starred establishment in Arras - my what a treat.

Is Northern France getting its gastronomic act together?

There are a few Michelin-starred ones already, Ian!

In the areas favoured by this forum, I can see:

Le Cerisier, at Laventie

the Chateau de Montreuil in, er, Montreuil

the Auberge de la Grenouillere, near Montreuil,

the Huitriere in Lille

Val d'Auge at Bondues (N of Lille)

and TWO Michelin stars for the Chateau de Beaulieu, at Busnes, near Bethune.

:P

Angela