Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Irish Recruiting Depots

Khaki

Some of my family came from the Kilworth area of Cork, my questions are; what would have been the nearest recruiting centre?

was it at a Govt Office or directly at a army camp? I believe that Fermoy was or is near a large military camp. Was this a Great War related mlitary base?

khaki

Hello khaki

In 1914 Cork itself was a major military centre, being home to the HQ of 6th Division and of 16th Infantry Brigade. Fermoy was the HQ of 17th Infantry Brigade and two artillery batteries were also stationed there.

Cork was also the HQ of No.12 District, which co-ordinated the recruiting and other activities of four Irish regiments: the Royal Munster Fusiliers, the Leinster Regiment, the Connaught Rangers and the Royal Irish regiment. County Cork was in the regimental area of the Munsters, whose depot was at Kinsale.

It is therefore most likely that your relatives would have joined up in Cork. I'm afraoid I cannot help with identifying the exact building, but perhaps the local newspaper's archives could help you in this respect.

Ron

Think I would look at it more from the point of which regiment he might have joined Have a look at

Royal Munster Fusiliers

Royal Irish Regt

You can see that there are a number of towns that they could have joined up at. Plus there were recruiters doing the rounds.

• 4 months later...

Think I would look at it more from the point of which regiment he might have joined Have a look at

Royal Munster Fusiliers

Royal Irish Regt

You can see that there are a number of towns that they could have joined up at. Plus there were recruiters doing the rounds.

Fermoy was a true garrison town with 2 regular battalions stationed there up to WWI (both Barracks destroyed 1922, town did not recover economically until 1960s)

Kilworth also became important in WWI for training of 16th Irish Division and from 1916 was the location of the 7th Officer Cadet battalion at Moore Park, Fermoy (the only such Bn in Ireland)

If you have serial numbers and units, can gives estimates re place of enlistment

• 3 years later...
Guest johnduggan69

My great grand father John Slattery was born in the Militia barracks in Ennis Co Clare 1882, where his father Patrick Slattery was a Trumpeter in the Royal Munster Fusiliers and also his brother Joseph was a RMF. My GGfathers enlisted in Fermoy on the 26/3/1897 and was appointed trained bandsman on the 26/4/1898. He served 12 years with the Royal Munster Fusiliers he was discharged 22/3/1909. He served in East India from the 24/2/1898 to 6/4/1900. South Africa from the 2/6/1902 to 6/11/1902 and Gibraltar from the 5/4/1904 to 6/2/1907. Im not sure if he had any medals if any one could help me to see if he had any medals issued that would be great his service number was, 6823. thanks John Duggan

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the responses, I regret that I have little information on which to build, but I am trying to develop a base from where I can pursue some family connections. I am not a member of any genealogical organization yet, so that maybe my next move.

khaki