Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Piper on top of a tank

centurion

Just found this

"The Tank "Dominion" led the tanks into action on this sectior with the piper of a Manitoba unit sitting astride the - top. Skirling hi pibroch, he came, through unscathed, but another piper, who piped his battalion into action, was killed." Poverty Bay Herald > 24 Mahuru 1918

Could we be talking about two different pipers here?

• 3 years later...
QUOTE (Sidearm @ May 22 2010, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remain sceptical. I think the tank you're referring to in post #16 was a Mark II.

I suspect this is what you are thinking of. I enclose an extract from a film clip that claims to be of the Battle of Arras but can't be as it includes shots of MkIVs. I also include a larger still shot of the same guy painting the same tank. It was originally captioned 'Canadian soldier painting his tank before the Battle of Amiens' which seems equally unlikely. I can't make out the name but it isn't Toronto. However there is a shot (see my previous post) of a Mk V at Amiens with a maple leaf and Toronto on the front plate and I don't think there was a 20th Battalion involved! I posted a small clip - the larger photo shows the tank passing Canadian soldiers. So we know that there seems to have been a custom of painting Maple leaves and a name on the front of tanks associated with Canadian action which makes Dominion much more likely.

Looking through some old posts, and I noticed in the larger photo, 'is the subject painting the tank actually wearing a 'hate belt' with some badges showing beneath what appears to be a stable belt??

khaki

• 1 year later...