WW1 trios

Mick D

How much are-

1914 star/war medal/ victory medal

and

1914 -15/war medal/victory medal

groups going for ?

Mick

It depends who the recipient was, what unit he served with, whether he was a casualty and who is selling it.

Hypothetically.

1914 Star Trio without Clasp to a member of the 8th Royal Scots killed 29 January 1915 and a similar Trio to a member of the same Battalion killed 22 March 1918.

They are Brothers,which may increase their value,if sold together, but they are not for sale as they are Family ones. :lol:

George

George,

From what I have seen in the past, they should be worth roughly the same, if sold or values separately. They are worth more as a family group and for insurance purposes, without any research, probably 300 - 350 a trio, if both are 1914 Star trio's.

Also, do you have the plaques and Memorial Scroll's to go with them - as this would increase the value.

If they were in my family I would insure them in addition to the normal house and contents.

Cheers Andy.

Hi ok a 14 trio to Corps unit 125 pounds, 14 trio infantry 180 plus, 15 trio Corps unit 100 ish ,15 trio infantry about 140 plus pounds .All these values are assuming the man was not KIA or DOW and had no other awards . If an officer at least double the price as an absolute minimum .

MC

Value as a group to brothers is higher if kept together.

Values seem to be dropping. Ridiculous prices are asked on e bay but they dont achieve what is asked.

I bought a casualty 14/15 trio to an artillery man for £125 recently.

Dixons catalogue for 14/15 trios vary between £180 / £200.

1914 trio higher, say £250.

Non casualties much less. Certain units much higher ie Yeomanry or desired regiments. Of course officers higher and 1/7/16 Somme casualties a premium. Gallipoli casualties especially Australian are sought after.

As yours are not for sale both priceless and worthless at the same time.

Regards

TT

TT,

I know they will be kept together.

Like to hazard a guess how much the two Trios would fetch along with the third Brother's WW2 Defence Medal,Police Long Service Medal(George V1) and Queen's Coronation Medal?

As I have them all you now know why I'm not a Medal Collector and they'll never be for sale whilst I'm around. :lol:

One Trio may attend the Cheshire Chums meeting on Tuesday,though,with associated Christmas Box,Trench Art and photo of the individual, in his Uniform, before setting off for France in November 1914.I may even take his Obituary.

George

George,

Not a lot extra. The brothers medals would command little interest on their own and would not add value to the trios. Still priceles though!!

TT

TT,

Strange that. :lol:

When I checked,for interest only,a Medal Collecting Book,years ago,the King George VI Police Long Service Medal was worth more,on its own, than the normal Trio Medals due to its rarity value.I appreciate a WW1 Trio/Duo with a Police Long Service Medal would be would worth much more but my Father only attained the age of 18 in November 1918 and although a member of the 5th Volunteer Battalion Royal Scots did not see active service.

George

George,

I may be wrong and always willing to be corrected. Always seek more than one appraisal. For questions I have always found Chris Dixon (Dixons Medals) a great help.

I must confess any medals outside WW1 are not my streangth.

Good luck.

TT

Please bring them all on Tuesday.

I have no idea of their sale value, but would be interested to see them.

To you, their value transends mere money.

Bruce

Not unless the trio is to Field Marshall Lord H H Kitchener of Khartoum GCB,GCMG,OM ..etc

MC

Thanks for all of your replies, I am aware that certain regiments or KIA on certain dates command higher prices.

What I was thinking of doing was to purchase some DLI trios to display, instead of the copies you can buy I thought a set with history would be a better buy.

Mick

Mick,

Obviously you appreciate I have no wish to expand my WW1 Medal collection,however,I have had a lot of help from Forum Members to expand the basic information WW1 Family History that has surrounded me all my life.

The Trench Art Matchbox Cover and ash trays(bowls) were in daily use as I was growing up in the 50's and 60's.They were just in use and had no special significance attached to them,apart from their function,by my Parents.

As all boys do,when they are growing up,I rooted around the house and found a Brass Box.Once I had mastered how to open it I may have found "some" coins which definitely did not contain chocolate. :lol:

Because I grew up with the matchbox cover and ash trays,now converted to "pot pourri" holders by "her indoors,"I always wished to have them, plus "Wallie Dug" but that's another story, but as long as my Mother was hale and hearty I was content to leave them with her,wherever,she moved to.

Over the years,of course,I have began to appreciate through genes, education,experience,etc., the significance of the Brass Box,Medals,my Forename and have sneaked out, of my Mother's Scots house, the Brass Box, to mine in England.

As my Mother grew older and expansive, the Canadian Branch, of the Family visited,wishing old photographs to take home,the old photos were brought out.Among them were black and white photos of men in uniform.Both I and my Sister appreciated them and she quite rightly chose a few photographs that favoured her Son.

Long after the Canadian visit,I found a box of pre-WW1 "Uniform" photographs,which had not been picked over,by my Sister and I could identify.

In the meantime,or previously I had acquired,a Wife(deep joy?) and two kids.

Money was tight in 1999 but the Wife,fancied a holiday,in Greece and I chose France?

We visted a Village,in France,bounced it basically, but the kids enjoyed their lunch and I enjoyed my egg and chips.

Took some photographs,of a particular WW1 Grave and sent them to my Sisters and my Son received,in return, from one, his individual Grt Uncles Medals.

Forum Members have helped me to find additional information about the Brothers,e.g. their obituaries which can be disquieting,or horrible depending how how you read them.

So buy an original Trio,that you claim as your own ,and allow the Forum to personalize,them :lol:

George

Mick

This is a subject of some interest to me, as I don't collect medals but had been meaning for some time to buy a nice trio as a representative example. I have just bought a 14-15 trio to the 18th Liverpools, with his small book. At £146 I was happy and would have paid a bit more.

My suggestion for a small DLI display would be to start with an original trio. A copy is meaningless and you'd end up wanting a real one anyway, so why not start out with one. If you wanted to take it a bit further, you can still buy original cap badges and shoulder titles relatively cheaply, and fortunately original DLI cloth slip on titles are about the commonest sort and can still be picked up for about a tenner each (but be sure to get a facing pair.) Add a couple of original named photos, which can probably be found with a bit of patience, and a pay book or small book if you are a bit lucky, and you end up with a really nice little display group which will give you many hours of enjoyable research and is bound to yield at least one interesting story.

Just my thoughts. Good luck!

Best wishes,

W.

Ken & Wainfleet,

Thanks for the links, they do compare with some groups I've already seen.

I've got a few bits & pieces i intend to frame eventually, but fancy the medals to go with the death plaque for one of my relatives as per the bottom of this page !

I'll let you know how I get on.

Mick